Internships are available and encouraged for both our Undergraduate and our Graduate students. Students have expanded their skill-sets, prepared for life after SJU, and built relationships that have helped throughout their careers.
A list of companies for which undergraduate and graduate students have interned can be viewed at internship-company-list.
- First-hand experience of the daily activities of professionals in Computer Science and related fields.
- Verification of an interest in a particular area of Computer Science or Information Technology.
- Develop and hone skills required for the computing or technology profession.
- Establish contacts outside the academic community who will facilitate a career in Computer Science or Information Technology.
- During the semester, a minimum of 8 hours weekly for 14 weeks. Students work one full day or two half-days. However, this can be flexible depending upon the site’s needs.
- During the summer, between junior and senior year, full-time for 8 weeks. This is the best alternative.
- Attendance at meetings with the internship coordinator/faculty mentor to discuss intern log and site issues. Two or three meetings a semester are typical.
- A detailed narrative on your internship site
- Location, size and type of business
- Organizational structure
- Recent operational history
- Internship log
- Filled in after each visit to the internship site during the semester
- Must be evaluated by the internship coordinator/faculty mentor at meetings.
- Report and Oral presentation
- A report must be submitted on a topic related to your internship
- A short presentation of your report to the department is required
Electronic version of each is required
Narrative, log and report must be typed
Grades will be determined by:
- Internship Agreement and midterm/final evaluations by your on-site supervisor. Evaluation forms are sent twice a semester
- Quality of narrative, log, report and presentation
- Meetings with internship coordinator/faculty mentor
- Punctual and regular site attendance