Banu Kutlu (University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill)

During my summer internship at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, I worked as an Application Analyst at the Information Technologies Services department. Some of my responsibilities included understanding the business needs for the Infoporte system and translating those into system requirements, developing and implementing these requirements, performing unit testing on new and modified components, writing and maintaining queries for grabbing data from the campus-wide data warehouse and business intelligence system and finally, documenting in the bug tracking tool.

During this time, I gained experience in working with a custom built PHP framework organized in a Model-View-Controller structure and got familiar with the object oriented design aspects of PHP and JavaScript and also with database connectivity via PHP (ODBC, mysqli, oci8) and Object Relational Model for querying and transactions/CRUD. Various tools that I have used includes NetBeans, GIT – distributed version control system, Mantis – bug tracking tool, Oracle SQL Developer – Oracle Database IDE that allows users to do their database tasks. My job mostly incorporated of implementing and unit testing the Infoporte’s new release requirements for the modules that I was responsible of. In this roll-out, Infoporte system was migrating its source database from the University’s data warehouse to the new PeopleSoft structure. Along with this change, the underlying security for authorization of pages and data has changed as well. I’ve mostly involved on the issues those included migration and security on the HR, Calendar and Inbox modules of Infoporte. Doing an internship had been a great opportunity for me to gain more experience and allowed me to test my technical skills so that I could get more prepared to attain my goal of continuing my career in the computer science field.