What is the Community Standards Process?
When an incident report/complaint is received, the report/complaint is assigned to an administrator within the Division of Student Life. The following options are available for case resolution (as determined by the Office of Community Standards):
1. Alternative Resolution Meeting, most often conducted by a member of the Division of Student Life. Alternative Resolutions may include mediation.
2. Administrative Hearing, most often conducted by a member of Residence Life or Community Standards professional staff.
3. Peer Review Board Hearing with a three person (plus a chairperson) panel consisting of students.
4. Community Standards Board Hearing with a three person panel consisting of faculty, administrators/staff, and students.
5. The Office of Community Standards, in its sole discretion, may choose to afford a respondent, based on the nature of the alleged violation(s), the opportunity to accept responsibility for violation(s) and accept assigned sanction(s) without a hearing being scheduled. For more information, please reference the Student Handbook.
Most allegations of less serious Community Standards violations shall be heard by an Administrative Hearing Officer or the Peer Review Board, or addressed through an Alternative Resolution Meeting.
Generally, more serious Community Standards violations shall be heard by an Administrative Hearing Officer or the Community Standards Board. For these more serious Community Standards violations, a pre-hearing meeting shall be scheduled. This pre-hearing meeting is part of the Community Standards process.
Generally, Community Standards violations involving student organizations shall be heard by an Administrative Hearing Officer or the Peer Review Board.
NOTE: The information included on this webpage does not replace information published within the Student Handbook. For more complete information, please reference the Student Handbook. Please refer to the Sexual Misconduct Policy, which includes the disciplinary process for alleged violations of this policy.