At times, the Office of Community Standards may decide to address conduct concerns with students in the absence of formal charges for violations of policy. It is important that all students treat this process seriously, as failing to do so can result in a different administrative action, including formal charges. Requested meetings should be treated with the same degree of seriousness as formal hearings. Any professional staff member of the University community may be responsible for the resolution meeting, consistent with the published process. In most cases, the responsible administrator is a member of the Office of Community Standards, Office of Residence Life, or Adult Student Life. If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Community Standards at (610) 660-1046.

Preparing for a Resolution Meeting/Hearing:
Note: These are guidelines for preparation only. In some instances, there may be requirements and/or deadlines issued, to which you must comply.

1) Alternative resolutions are not charges for violating the Community Standards. Rather, they are another option for resolving a complaint or addressing concerning conduct. As noted above, if you do not demonstrate good faith participation in this resolution option, formal charges may result. Alternative resolutions may include conflict resolution, facilitated dialogues, mediation, and restorative justice.

2) The administrator responsible for your alternative resolution will be respectful to you as a fellow member of the SJU community and will expect that you conduct yourself respectfully in return.

3) Dress appropriately for any meetings that take place as a signal of the seriousness with which you are taking the proceedings.

4) Show up on time for the meeting. If you do not know where to go, try to find the meeting location beforehand. Be sure to give yourself enough time to make it, especially if you are coming from off campus and need to find a parking spot.

5) Remember that it is important to be honest and mature throughout the conversation. We do value this honesty and maturity in our process.

NOTE: The information included on this webpage does not replace information published within the Student Handbook. For more complete information, please reference the Student Handbook. Please refer to the Sexual Misconduct Policy, which includes the disciplinary process for alleged violations of this policy.