An Administrative Hearing takes place when formal charges/alleged violations are processed and a hearing is scheduled with a single administrator. In most cases, this individual hearing officer is a member of the Office of Community Standards or Office of Residence Life. The Office of Community Standards determines who shall hear a case. Your notice should detail the contact information for the administrator responsible for the hearing. If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Community Standards at (610) 660-1046.
Preparing for an Administrative Hearing:
Note: These are guidelines for preparation only. In some instances, there may be requirements and/or deadlines issued, to which you must comply.
1) The administrative hearing officer will be respectful to you as a fellow member of the SJU community and will expect that you conduct yourself respectfully in return.
2) Dress appropriately for your hearing as a signal of the seriousness with which you are taking the proceedings.
3) Show up on time for the hearing. If you do not know where to go, find the hearing location beforehand. Be sure to give yourself enough time to make it, especially if you are coming from off campus and need to find a parking spot.
4) Do your homework before the hearing. Learn about the Community Standards process and standards. If you are a resident student, and if appropriate, talk to your Resident Assistant or someone in Residence Life. Consult with a Community Standards Advisor if needed.
5) During the hearing, you are able to present pertinent information. You are also able to provide information from witnesses of fact. If you are thinking about bringing a witness to the hearing, let the hearing officer know.
6) Finally, remember that the hearing is your opportunity to share your experience with regards to the incident. It is important to be honest and mature throughout the conversation. We do value this honesty and maturity in our process.
NOTE: The information included on this webpage does not replace information published within the Student Handbook. For more complete information, please reference the Student Handbook. Please refer to the Sexual Misconduct Policy, which includes the disciplinary process for alleged violations of this policy.