Have you ever wanted to work for the Mayor? Here’s your opportunity….
MAYOR’S OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS
James F. Kenney, Mayor
Stephanie Waters, Digital Director
Digital Internship Opportunity
Job Location: City Hall, Room 216, Mayor’s Office of Communications
The Mayor’s Office of Communications is currently offering a digital internship opportunity to students who will commit 12- 15 hours per week to this fast-paced work environment. Interns are often invited to attend events and/or internal meetings to acquire a better understanding of municipal government’s internal and external functions. This opportunity is ideal for learning about municipal operations, politics, public service, public relations, media relations, community organizing, crisis communications, event planning and teamwork. Those majoring in communications, graphic design, and/or government studies are encouraged to apply. We’re looking for a ‘team player’ with an enthusiasm for learning new skills while utilizing existing professional talents to assist with our office operation.
Assist with telling the story of Mayor Kenney’s administration through moving, captivating candid photographs.
Draft blog posts that accomplish the same objectives.
Draft content for social media channels, including twitter, Facebook and Instagram that increases engagement with the citizens of Philadelphia while improving delivery of services and promoting the City of Philadelphia.
Post to social media accounts, assist with livetweeting, twitter chats, and internal organization.
Edit graphics or photos as needed for posting.
Track analytics of various accounts to ensure constant improvement and respond to data.
Maintain digital calendar
1. Candidate must be able to multi-task who can think independently, creatively and quickly. A detail-oriented work style in this fast-paced environment is a must.
2. Candidate must have excellent writing, research and computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, social networking applications). Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite is preferred but not required.
3. Candidate must have excellent customer service and phone skills, a professional demeanor and a good sense of humor.
4. Incredibly well organized, with attention to detail that posting across multiple accounts requires.
5. Experience with social media sites like Facebook and Twitter, and a thorough understanding of best practices, along with the evolving nature of the medium.
6. Understanding of messaging and the way it can be applied to social media.
7. Familiarity with Adobe Production Suite, especially Photoshop, preferred but not required.
8. Passion for crafting the perfect tweet, facebook post, graphic, etc.
9. Ability to work proactively across departments.
10. Must be able to handle simultaneous “priority” projects and meet established deadlines.
How to Apply:
Email cover letter, resume and three, short (1-page essays or 1-page excerpts of longer essays) writing samples to [Name]. If your essays are longer than one page in length your application will be disqualified.
PLEASE NOTE: This opportunity is for the 2016 Spring semester. Applicants for the
Spring semester must be available to work at least one full business day (9am-5pm) during the week, and may work partial days to cover the difference of the required hours.
APPLICATIONS ARE DUE: SUNDAY JANUARY 24th AT 5:00 PM. Applicants that meet all the criteria will be called for an interview as soon as their applications are received, and the available positions will be filled with the first excellent candidates we interview. If you are interested, we strongly encourage you to apply sooner rather than later (do NOT wait until the deadline).
Those interested in applying for the Summer 2016 semester may do so in April 2016, and must also be able to commit to at least one full workday.
Mayor’s Office of Communications
Room 216, City Hall