Commencement

2016 Commencement Memories

Meet Our 2016 Grads

Class of 2016 McNulty Scholars Program Graduates

McNulty Scholars

Class of 2016 McNulty Scholars

“McNulty Scholars are young women who dare to be the best.”

The John P. McNulty Scholars Program for Excellence in Science in Math, which provides full- and partial-tuition scholarships for young women who wish to become leaders in the science and math professions, announces its Class of 2016 graduates.

Comprised of fellows, scholars and associates, the graduates are featured  from left to right: Christina Mirarchi ’16, biology major and fellow; Isabella Goodenough ’16,  chemistry major and fellow; Rachel Troxell ’16, chemistry major and fellow; Christina Freeman, biology major and scholar; Kathleen Logan, biology major and scholar; Heidi Kurn ’16, chemistry major and scholar; and Courtney Hulbert ’16, biology major and associate.

“McNulty Scholars are young women who dare to be the best,” says Anne Welsh McNulty,  whose generous support of the program honors her late husband, alumnus John P. McNulty ’74. “John exuded energy, creativity and ambition. Through this program, we hope to ignite the same extraordinary spirit in others.”

Read more about the plans of these remarkable young women here.

Follow  &  on Twitter to learn about the Class of 2016

Kathleen Garrity-McNulty ’16 (M.S.) and Michael McNulty ’16 (M.S.)

Michael McNulty, Kathleen Garrity-McNulty

“I am in the rare position not only of being a member of the Class of 2016, but to also be a parent of a member of this class.”

Kathleen Garrity-McNulty ’16 (M.S.) and her son Michael McNulty ’16 (M.S.) come from a long line of Hawks: They are sixth and seventh in a legacy that includes grandparents, parents, children, siblings, aunts, uncles and cousins. The legacy began with Kathleen’s father Ed Garrity ’53 (now deceased).

“Fast Eddie” played basketball for the Hawks from 1950-53 and was the team’s leading scorer in the 1952-53 season, averaging 16.1 points for coach Bill Ferguson’s squad. He still holds the record for most points scored by a Saint Joseph’s player in a home game when he tallied 40 points against Rhode Island at Alumni Memorial Fieldhouse on February 4, 1953. He was  inducted into the Saint Joseph’s Men’s Basketball Hall of Fame in 1978.

More recently, he was honored for his scoring record at the SJU-Rhode Island game at Hagan Arena on February 11, 2015. “All 11 of his kids and his 14 grandchildren were there that night,” says Kathleen. “He was glowing.”

It’s no surprise, then, that Hawk pride runs strong in the family. “‘The Hawk Will Never Die’ is the mantra that represents the spirit that Saint Joseph’s has instilled in us, but its purpose is now embedded in our hearts and souls to remind us how high a Hawk can soar,” says Kathleen.

Kathleen is a middle school nurse, and with her master of science in health education, will earn  permanent certification with the Pennsylvania Department of Education. With his graduate degree in education, Michael hopes to teach middle school or high school math and coach football or baseball.

Follow  &  on Twitter to learn about the Class of 2016 .

Genevieve Philbin ’16

Genevieve Philbin '16

Genevieve Philbin ’16

“Service-learning courses and St. Joe’s mission called me to serve.”

Scranton, Pennsylvania native Genevieve Philbin ’16, a Hawk English and theatre and film major, will spend the next two years amid the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame as an ACE ND fellow. When she completes her time in Indiana, she’ll have a master’s degree in education and experience teaching in a Catholic school.

Genevieve was inspired to serve in her first year at SJU after seeing a quote on a bookmark from the 28th Superior General of the Society of Jesus, Pedro Arrupe, S.J. “Nothing is more practical than finding God,” it read.

At SJU, Genevieve became involved in service-learning courses through the Faith-Justice Institute, volunteered at the Urban Tree Connection, and tutored Philadelphia high school students.

She’ll miss her SJU professors: “I can’t describe how grateful I am to have had them as teachers and mentors, especially in my senior year,” she says. But she’s excited to begin her time at Notre Dame. Congratulations, Genevieve!

Follow  &  on Twitter to learn about a new member of the class of  each weekday.

Cheryl Rozinski ’16

160426-rozinski-34 copy“I want to be a changemaker”

Cheryl Rozinski ’16 is a business administration major from Lansdale, Pennsylvania with four minors: economics, theology, faith-justice studies, and justice and ethics in the law. After graduation, she is headed to New York City for a public policy advocacy fellowship with Good Shepherd Services, a youth-and-family-focused mission. During her time at SJU, Cheryl was a weekly service intern for campus ministry and a member of the Rape Education Prevention Program. She was a student leader in the University’s Winter Immersion Program to El Paso, Texas, and served as a Hawk Host and a resident assistant. This past semester, she also worked as an IT intern for Project HOME, was a member of academic honor societies Beta Gamma Sigma and Theta Alpha Kappa and served on the executive board of the University’s chapter of Alpha Sigma Nu, the national Jesuit Honor Society.  Before she heads off on her next mission and begins her career as a “changemaker,” Rozinski’s final act on Hawk Hill will be to deliver the 2016 undergraduate commencement address. To read more about her story, click here.

Kwame I.T. Williams ’16 (Ed.D)

Kwame I.T. Williams '16

Kwame I.T. Williams ’16 (Ed.D.)

“The sense of family and community in the cohorts and with the faculty, and the push to be greater, to make a difference — I’d recommend the programs to anyone.”

Kwame I.T. Williams is a change agent. As a principal responsible for the cognitive development and social growth of 455 K-5 students, it’s part of her job. An educator for 22 years, she enrolled in SJU’s Interdisciplinary Doctor of Education Program for Educational Leaders (IDEPEL) in 2011 after earning a master’s degree in educational leadership the previous year. She focused her research on democratic leadership and its effects on teacher job satisfaction because she was interested in finding out how principal-teacher relationships could be transformed.

As much as the development and growth of others have been the chief concerns of her career, Kwame met the biggest change agent of her personal life in February 2014 when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. She says it was the sense of family and the ongoing support from her cohort members and professors that helped to get her through what became an almost two-year ordeal, when after a double mastectomy, a total hysterectomy and breast reconstruction in 2014, she was diagnosed in July 2015 with brain cancer that had metastasized from the original cancer in her breast. She underwent surgery to remove the mass in her brain and returned to work last September, only to have the tumor recur with additional growth in October.

Through it all Kwame says, “I just kept doing the research and writing my dissertation. I felt the need to finish.”

The next part of her journey commences on May 14. Read more about Kwame’s story here.

Follow @sjuartssciences & @haubschool on Twitter to learn about a new member of the class of #SJU16 each weekday.

Claudia Gallagher ’16

Claudia Gallagher '16

Claudia Gallagher ’16

“The class became a source of inspiration. I learned so much about responsible medical practice, and I really started to see how ethics related to other areas of my studies.”

Honors student Claudia Gallagher ’16 had no shortage of interests as an English and music double major. But she still wanted to add breadth to her course of study, so she took a class in Christian medical ethics with Peter Clark, S.J., director of SJU’s Institute of Clinical Bioethics.

The grounding in ethics she received in this class, and from other SJU courses, will serve her well when she begins law school at the University of Pennsylvania this fall. Though she’s not sure on which facet of the law she’ll focus, she hopes to make a difference in the medical field.

In addition to her rigorous class work, the Sicklerville, New Jersey, native nurtured her creativity, making the most of her time at Saint Josephs: She penned a 220-page novel about time travel for her thesis, which was inspired by her ethics studies, and also wrote original piano compositions that she performed in a recital in April.

Read more about Claudia and her work here.

Lena Hunt ’16 (M.S.)

Lena Hunt

Lena Hunt ’16

“I’ve always been naturally curious, but being around flowers helped solidify  my desire to study  biology.”

Graduate biology student Lena Hunt ’16 may have started out as a floral designer, but her research at Saint Joseph’s with Associate Professor of Biology Clint Springer, Ph.D., has taken her from that relatively small-scale world to the macro-world of agroforestry. Together, she and Springer have studied East Coast pitch pine trees, uncovering extremes within the same species from five field sites.

“Lena is a fantastic student who has forged her own path of discovery with questions that are novel to my lab,” he says.

According to Springer, the critical thinking skills Lena developed at SJU will serve her well on her next adventure: in Senegal, with the Peace Corps.

Lena says the Peace Corps has been on her “bucket list” for much of her young life. She was inspired to apply for the service by her supervisor at a butterfly conservatory who had worked to save forests in South America with the Peace Corps. Now, she’ll do the same in Africa.

Read more about Lena’s journey here.

Jackie Gheraldi ’16

Jackie Gheraldi“After graduation I will be working at Capco and I am excited to utilize the skills I have learned at SJU. Being in Manhattan and on Wall Street sparks a rush within me.”

Jacqueline Gheraldi is an international business major and marketing minor from Manalapan, New Jersey. Jackie was a member of the women’s softball team at SJU, which  helped shape her SJU experience. After graduation, she will be working in the Manhattan offices of Capco, a global business and technology consultancy based in Antwerp, Belgium. Jacqueline served as a summer associate with Capco in the summer of 2015.

Bonus quote: “I’m really going to miss the people and the atmosphere at Saint Joseph’s, especially my teammates”

Nick Fortunato ’16

Nick Fortunato

Nick Fortunato ’16

“I wouldn’t be doing Teach for America if it wasn’t for the political science faculty. They made sure what I was putting forward was my best effort, pushing me to be the best possible advocate.”

Political science major/international relations minor Nick Fortunato ’16  discovered a love for teaching as a Global Smarts mentor. A joint effort between the World Affairs Council and Saint Joseph’s, the global literacy tutoring program pairs SJU undergrads and middle school students from under-resourced and low- to middle-income Philadelphia-area schools. Annually, the mentors provide the fundamental knowledge and skills the students need to participate in the Council’s Jr. Model United Nations Conference.

A native of Denville, New Jersey, Nick says he is more excited than nervous about his upcoming relocation to Memphis, Tennessee, as a Teach for America “corps member.” He’ll be in Memphis for two years, teaching English in a low-income community.

“I knew I wanted to do service after graduation,” he says. Ignatian spirituality, in particular the concept of cura personalis, taught Nick to also pay attention to what was in his heart.

“Everything you’re doing reflects who you are,” he says. “Moving forward, I couldn’t do something that didn’t have meaning, or that didn’t reflect who I am, and St. Joe’s helped me make that discovery.”

Caley Rolt ’16

Caley Rolt '16

Caley Rolt ’16

“I’m grateful to Saint Joseph’s for the opportunity to do so much service and find so much joy while connecting my separate passions.”

By anyone’s measure, the achievements of Caley Rolt ’16, are impressive. An international relations major with minors in German and Spanish, the Westford, Massachusetts native recently received SJU’s International Relations Award and placed first in the Asian Studies Essay Competition. She is a member of the Jesuit Honor’s Society, Alpha Sigma Nu, and the president of SJU’s chapter of Sigma Iota Rho, the International Relations Honor’s Society.

Her service to the University and to the global community includes a leadership role with PSIP, an immersion with Rostro de Cristo in Ecuador, and a remarkable internship resume of refugee service, including at the Nationalities Service Center, the International Institute of New England and the Cambodian Mutual Assistance Association.

Amid all of this activity, she also found time to study abroad at the University of Heidleberg in Germany, become a Red Cross Certified Life Guard, and work as a peer tutor.

As it turns out for Caley, Santa Clara University also thinks she’s pretty impressive. In the fall, she’ll pursue another passion — teaching — when she begins their ExCEL Program, which will give her the opportunity to study for a master’s degree in education as she teaches full-time in an elementary school. Caley was a teaching assistant in a Heidelberg second grade class while she was in Germany.

“I’ve always wanted to be a teacher,” says Caley. And now, she will.

Chris Nguyen’16

160426-ngyugen-07 copy“I’ve learned what I’m capable of, what I’m lacking and what I’m looking for.”

At just 16 years old, finance major Chris Nguyen ’16 left his home and family in Vietnam to pursue his college education in the United States. At Saint Joseph’s University, he excelled in the classroom and connected with fellow classmates over music, joining the newly founded campus singing group, Hawks on Pointe. He also took advantage of opportunities to network with HSB alumni through the SJU Career Center and alumni programs, through which he garnered advice and internships. In the summer of 2015, Chris completed a three-month internship at Carver Federal Savings Bank in New York City and was offered a full-time position. To read more of Chris’ story, click here.

Bonus quote: “I’m the type of person who needs to continue to learn new things. My ideal career is one that challenges me every day.”

Ather Sharif ’16 (M.S.)

Ather Sharif '16

Ather Sharif ’16

“SJU has helped me tremendously by providing me the platform and supporting my passion for web accessibility.”

When he began writing code for websites, Ather Sharif ’16 (M.S.) gave little thought to accessible design. He never considered the value of creating a site that would work for every person who visited it, including those with physical or mental limitations. But after he was injured in a car accident in 2013, Ather, now quadriplegic, began to interact with more people with disabilities. And he realized how poor the web experience is for some of the users in that community.

In response, the SJU graduate, who earned a master’s degree in computer science in December and is participating in the 2016 commencement exercises, founded EvoXLabs, a group of volunteer web accessibility experts that is part web firm, part advocacy group. The team develops free tools and websites for nonprofits in the Philadelphia area that can’t afford to hire a company to review their sites for accessibility issues.

This impressive #SJU16 Hawk was one of three people worldwide to earn the 2015 People with Disabilities Award from IBM and one of 12 North American recipients of a $10,000 Google Lime Scholarship. He also won “Geek of the Year” at the 2015 Philadelphia Geek Awards and will serve as grand marshal at the Philadelphia Disability Pride Walk this summer. Accepted into a computer science Ph.D. program at the University of Washington, one of the country’s top graduate schools for the field, Ather will begin work on the degree in either September 2016 or 2017. Until then, he’ll be a software engineer at Comcast and will continue to run EvoXLabs.

Read more about Ather here.

Kathleen Rodgers ’16 and Chrissy Miseo ’16

Rodgers (right) and Miseo.

Kathleen Rodgers (right) & Chrissy Miseo.

“The different teaching strategies and behavioral management techniques we use at the Kinney Center can be implemented in any elementary or special education classroom,” says Kathleen Rodgers ’16.

The first class of Kinney Center for Autism Education and Support Apprentice SCHOLARS — at 12 participants — will graduate having started their Kinney experience the summer prior to their freshman year at SJU as staff members of Camp Kinney.  They also completed course work as summer students.

Kathleen Rodgers ’16, an elementary/special education major from Media, Pennsylvania, with minors in autism studies and faith-justice studies, has participated in the SCHOLARS program longer than any other student. “The training I received and the skill set I developed over the past four and a half years will be invaluable for my future career path,” says Kathleen, who will enter the special education field.

Chrissy Miseo ’16 is a triple major in elementary education, special education and autism behavioral studies from Marlboro, New Jersey. Miseo was accepted to several applied behavior analysis (ABA) master’s degree programs nationwide, and will continue her education at Florida State University, the top ABA program in the country.

“Participating in the apprentice program drew a path for my future,” says Chrissy. “It showed me where I grew the most and where I want to continue growing in my education. I’ve learned something new every day at Kinney, and now I never want to stop.”

Read more about Kathleen and Krissy here.

Kaitlyn Martin ’16

Kaitlyn Martin '16

Kaitlyn Martin ’16

“I will miss the faculty most. I love all of the professors who taught me.”

From Staten Island, New York, Kaitlyn Martin ’16 says she always wanted to be a teacher, and her desire solidified after taking special education classes at Saint Joseph’s. Her post-graduation plans have her heading to Nashville, Tennessee, where she will study for a master’s degree in special education at Vanderbilt University’s Peabody College of Education.

“St. Joe’s gives you the opportunity to be a student leader if you take the initiative,” says Kaitlyn, who did just that as a major in early childhood education and in special education. Involved in service-learning, the Council for Exceptional Children, and Kappa Delta Pi, the Education Honors Society, Kaitlyn brought former Sandy Hook teacher Kaitlyn Roig-DeBellis to Saint Joseph’s to round out American Education Week this past fall.

“We’re very proud of Kaitlyn and all she has accomplished as a Saint Joseph’s student,” says Frank Bernt, Ph.D., professor and chair of teacher education.

Pooja Patel ’16

Pooja Patel '16

Pooja Patel ’16

“I  wanted to graduate early, because I knew I could reach my end goal quicker. I was always determined to be on the path to veterinary school.  It never occurred to me to do anything else.”

Biology major Pooja Patel ’16 has had a singular vision since she was a young girl helping in her parent’s veterinary clinic in Newtown, Pennsylvania. Now, with her acceptance to the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine, her dream will come true when she takes her place as one of the elite school’s 125 students starting their training in August.

Pooja made the most of her three years at Saint Joseph’s. According to her advisor Julia Lee-Soety, Ph.D., associate professor of biology,  Pooja contacted her before she started her first year classes for approval to take six courses per semester —  two more than the recommended four for  biology majors. She also worked on a complicated research project involving diamondback terrapin hatchlings in the biodiversity lab of Professor of Biology Scott McRobert, Ph.D., the results of which will be submitted for publication. In addition to her bio major, Pooja carried a minor in religious studies and she took classes in Sanskrit, the liturgical language of  Hinduism, with Associate Professor of Religious Studies David Carpenter, Ph.D.

After the bustle of her undergraduate education, Pooja smiles and says she plans to relax this summer before she goes into “another crazy four years.” Read more about Pooja’s SJU experience here.

Corey Jones ’16

Corey Jones“I was honored to receive the future leader award which recognized my potential in the business intelligence & analytics industry.”

Corey Jones is an accounting and business intelligence & analytics major from Medford, New York. Corey was very involved with the business intelligence & analytics program and the Haub School of Business during his time at SJU. He was a member of the BITS club, president of SJU’s chapter of Beta Gamma Sigma (the national business honors society), and completed an independent study this semester with assistant professor of business intelligence & analytics, Kathleen Campbell, Ph.D. Upon graduation, Corey will be working with Johnson & Johnson, where he interned for the last 12 months. He is looking forward to joining J&J’s finance leadership development program.

Bonus Quote: “Dr. Campbell has gone above and beyond in order to allow me to explore my business intelligence major outside the classroom. She helped me discover my passion in data analytics & data visualization.”

Conor McCaney ’16

Conor McCaney '16

Conor McCaney ’16

“At Saint Joseph’s, I experienced a better way of learning.”

Professional and Liberal Studies grad Conor McCaney ’16 has always been interested in food science. His interest took the Cape May, New Jersey, native to the Culinary Institute of America in New York to behind the scenes at prestigious restaurants in Europe. When a friendship with a Portuguese master sommelier in West Berkshire, England, piqued his interest in the wine industry, it brought him back across the ocean to SJU where he studied  chemistry and expanded his understanding of enology and fermentation science.  He’s now a laboratory and enology intern at Vavasour Wines in New Zealand, and is applying to grad schools in Australia and the United States.

Wherever he winds up, he’s confident that Saint Joseph’s has prepared him for the next step. “The biggest lesson that I gained from my education is that, when encountering a problem or new subject matter, it’s not enough to just memorize; you have to know how to approach a problem in order to solve it,” McCaney says. Read more about Conor’s journey here.

Allison Ebling ’16

Allison Ebling“Soccer has opened so many doors for me at SJU.” 

Allison Ebling is a senior accounting and business intelligence & analytics major from Schuylkill River, Pennsylvania. Allison was a goalkeeper on the SJU women’s soccer team during her time at SJU. She is the all-time leader in wins (23) and goals-against average (1.01) and was tied for second in shutouts (15).  A member of the Atlantic 10 Commissioner’s Honor Roll and SJU Athletic Director’s Honor Roll, Allison was named to the 2015 Philadelphia Inquirer Women’s Soccer Academic All-Area Team. Off the field, Allison was also a member of the business intelligence honors society and was recognized as a Sutula Scholar. After graduation, Allison will be working for KPMG in Philadelphia as a member of their audit team.

Bonus quote: “My teammates are some of the best people I know and I could not imagine SJU without them.”

Kristen Boyle ’16

Kristen Boyle '16

Kristen Boyle ’16

“Study abroad in Italy was an amazing experience that pushed me to be more independent than I had ever been before.”

Psychology major/art minor Kristen Boyle ’16 may have been born with a rare genetic condition that renders her legally blind, but she didn’t let that stop her from achieving a 3.9 GPA; conducting social psychology research; exploring all of the art in Florence, Italy during a semester abroad; paragliding in the Swiss Alps; or winning equestrian competitions.

“Kristen is a very special person,” says Phyllis Anastasio, Ph.D., professor of psychology and Kristen’s research mentor. “Her intellect, ambition and work ethic will make her successful in anything she does.” Kristen will pursue a master’s degree in psychology at SJU upon graduation.  Read more about Kristen here.

Nico Garcia-Abarca ’16

Nico Garcia-Abarca“My family had horses until I graduated high school and they sparked my interest in wanting to continue on to veterinary school.”

Nico Garcia-Abarca is a senior business administration major from San Juan, Puerto Rico whose love of animals started at a young age. After graduation, he will be attending veterinary school at Louisiana State University. Although he knows this experience is going to be very challenging he is excited about the opportunities this will present for him. While at SJU, Nico went abroad as part of the University’s Semester at Sea program. It took Nico almost a year to get all of his paperwork together but he says it was well worth it as he visited 18 countries and over 30 cities in 118 days.

Bonus Quote: “The Semester at Sea program changed the way I live and the way I see the world.”

Tyler Kelley ’16

Tyler Kelley '16

Tyler Kelley ’16

“I’ll miss the people of St. Joe’s the most. The daily social interactions here are great.”

Tyler Kelley ’16 has been a forward for the Saint Joseph’s rugby team all four years of his college career. The native Philadelphian was recruited from St. Joseph’s Prep, where he was also a member of the rugby team. “Tyler is very physical on the field, and the nicest person off the field,” says his SJU head coach Daniel Yarusso. A communication studies major/philosophy minor, Tyler has interned at Penn Mutual, and will take a position in their brand management department after graduation. An avid ukulele player, Tyler also hopes to find the time to travel and make music.

Toni Johnson ’16 (EMBA)

084-SJU-Haub-Graduation-2016 copy“I want to be a role model to my children. I want to show them that no matter where you are in life, no matter what you face, you can change your circumstances.”

The passion of the Maguires and the message of the Jesuits brought Toni Johnson ’16 (EMBA) to SJU. On top of juggling the demands of work, family and the rigorous EMBA curriculum, Toni struggled with serious health issues, including an ongoing battle with Lupus, throughout the year, but pushed past all of the challenges to complete her degree on time. A single mother of six (four of which still live at home), Toni works for Philabundance as a chef in a 200 bed woman and children’s shelter, and as a counselor with Resources for Human Development. She hopes to pursue a career in human resources or a Ph.D. in psychology. To read more of Toni’s story, click here.

Bonus quote:  “SJU has opened up a world of opportunities for me so I can find the right match for my professional and personal goals,” says Johnson.

Katryna Perera ’16

Katryna Perera '16

Katryna Perera ’16

“Being the news editor of The Hawk made me realize how much I love being on my feet.”

From Damascus, Maryland, Katryna Perera’s dream has been to live and work in New York City, and accordingly, she plans to pursue a master’s degree at the Columbia School of Journalism upon graduating from Saint Joseph’s. Once she decided to go to grad school, she felt that Columbia was right for her. “Knowing that I’m going there is the most thrilling thing,” she says. A communication studies major/political science minor, Katryna has also loved her work at SJU’s student newspaper, The Hawk. “I get an adrenaline rush from breaking news,” she adds.

Courtney Rowan ’16

Courtney Rowan“My internship with the Eagles confirmed my desire to work in sports.”

Courtney Rowan is a sports marketing major from Marlton, New Jersey. Since freshman year, Courtney managed the Women’s Basketball Team at Saint Joseph’s. She says this experience was a huge part of her four years at SJU and she will never forget her time with the team. Courtney interned with the Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field last summer, an opportunity that exposed her to the logistic side of the sports and entertainment industry. Courtney accepted a full-time position in the franchise’s Ticket Operations department.

Ahmad Hylick ’16 (HDC)

Ahmad Hylick “I am very excited about graduating, as an adult non-traditional student I feel as though I have arrived at a plateau that I once thought was unreachable.”

Ahmad Hylick is earning his degree in Business Administration through the Haub Degree Completion program (HDC) after graduating from the Community College of Philadelphia. A union carpenter in Philadelphia, Ahmad  believes SJU has challenged him and he is grateful for all of the professors who have helped him excel. Looking to the future, Ahmad says he has been able to gain an abundance of knowledge about what it takes to start and successfully run his own business, thanks to SJU.

Dan Tully ’16

Dan Tully '16

Dan Tully ’16

“I had a great experience with the criminal justice program. I cannot speak highly enough about the faculty and staff.”

Dan Tully ’16, of Holmdel, New Jersey, majored in criminal justice and had a minor in accounting. As a student, he experienced cura personalis in action. “The faculty and staff of the criminal justice program spent so much time with me, and everyone went out of their way to look at my individual situation to help me find the best fit for me, based on where I want to go with my life,” he says. After commencement, Dan will join the FDIC (Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation) in Blue Bell, Pennsylvania, as a bank examiner.

Cyndi Wilson ’16

Cyndi Wilson

Cyndi Wilson ’16

“The academics at St. Joe’s, especially in the sciences, are very challenging. A + P and neuroscience were some of my hardest classes, but they prepared me for grad school.”

As a utility player for the softball team, Cyndi attributes “coffee, and a very regimented schedule” to her ability to get her class assignments and workouts completed on time. “Although it may be challenging to balance coursework and softball, at the end of the day, I know I’ll get it done,” she says. From Clark, New Jersey, Cyndi is a psychology major with a minor in interdisciplinary health studies. Upon graduation, she will attend Kean University in Union, New Jersey, to pursue a master of science in occupational therapy.

Steve Baron ’16

Steve Baron“ After graduation I am working at the International Radio and Television Society in NYC.” 

Steve Baron is a senior marketing major and communications studies minor from Marlton, New Jersey. After graduation, Steve will be working with the International Radio and Television Society. He will be paired with an entertainment or media company, including media giants SONY and ABC, for a two-month fellowship. At the conclusion of the fellowship, Steve will be offered a placement within one of the society’s associated entertainment or media companies. During his time at SJU, Steve was part of the DSP Fraternity and interned with ABC Philadelphia.
Bonus Quote: “I believe SJU provides a level of comfort and community. I am confident I can depend on any fellow hawk.”

Chris Diehl ’16

Chris Diehl '16

Chris Diehl ’16

“St. Joe’s has provided me ample opportunities to develop and grow as a student, friend and an individual, and I can never repay the University for that.”

Chris Diehl is an English and theology major from Dedham, Massachusetts, who also carries a minor in Faith-Justice studies. Committed to serving others, Chris will join ACE SJU upon graduation. He will pursue a Master’s in secondary education while teaching English and religion at Ss. John Neumann and Maria Goretti High School in Philadelphia.

Gregory Turner ’16 (EMBA)

IMG_1667“The EMBA program has driven me to be a better person, corporate citizen and decision maker.”

Gregory Turner’16 of Ardmore, Pennsylvania, is graduating from Saint Joseph’s Executive MBA program this May. Currently a supervisor of global fund accounting for The Vanguard Group in Malvern, Gregory is a member of a diverse cohort of professionals in this year’s graduating class whom he says “challenged each other every day to be the best that we could possibly be.” 

Gregory earned his bachelor’s from Eastern University and has been with Vanguard since 2008.

Expanded quote: “I think this degree will help me in a lot of ways professionally, but what I think is more important, is the personal impact the program had on me. It drives me to be a better person, corporate citizen and decision maker, which I believe will lead to me to have a more impactful career.”

Nicole Enderica ’16

Nicole Enderica '16

Nicole Enderica ’16

“I like the way the communication profs make me think. They don’t tell us what to do — they give us the tools to figure it out on our own.”

From Guayaquil, Ecuador, Nicole Enderica is a trilingual communication studies major with minors in French and advertising and promotion. Nicole was a Beautiful Social fellow, and consulted for several nonprofits while a student. “The Beautiful Social class, and Dr. Knight, helped me realize I want to work with nonprofit organizations,” she says.  Nicole has accepted a full-time position with Vision for Equality,  an advocacy organization that helps people with autism and other disabilities live and stay in their communities.

Liz Wardach ’16

Liz Wardach -2“”In advocating for the LGTBQ community, I know I am making a change at SJU.”

Liz Wardach is a senior leadership, ethics and organizational sustainability (LEO) major from Scranton, Pennsylvania. Liz attended two Creating Change Conferences during her time at SJU in order to help strengthen the plan for diversification in the SJU community. Along with being an advocate for the LGBTQ community, Liz has worked as a writing center tutor and minored in environmental studies and gender studies. After graduation, she will be working as a technical recruiter at Brooksource, a nationwide IT recruitment firm. “I am super excited for the opportunity to work at Brooksource,” she says.

Nathan L’Etoile ’16

Nathan L'Etoile '16

Nathan L’Etoile ’16

“The diversity of thought that St. Joe’s encourages is necessary to get accepted into med school.”

Nathan L’Etoile, a senior biology major with minors in chemistry and music, from Vienna, Virginia, will attend Thomas Jefferson University in the fall for medical school. In addition to his research with Christina King Smith, Ph.D., chair and professor of biology, he spent two summers at Georgetown Medical School. Nathan recently earned the Medical Alumni Scholarship Award.  His father is Allen L’Etoile ’77.

A musical talent, Nathan started Hawkapella and worked with 54th & City all four years.  For his senior recital in March, Nathan performed his own piece. “The faculty and students that make up St. Joe’s are accepting and diverse and roundly interested in a variety of things, allowing me to study biology, music and chemistry,” says Nathan.

Joey Giovanisci ’16

IMG_0203“The service trips I have been a part of allowed me to realize there is more to life than a high end job. I have gained a whole new appreciation for life.”

Joey Giovanisci is a senior sports marketing major from Pasadena, California. Joey will be with JVC for a year supporting simplistic living, social justice, spirituality and community. He has left a lasting impact on SJU by being a part of APEX, Collegiate Challenge, and serving as a Hawk Host.

Bonus quote: “One of the hardest things about leaving this place is knowing that not everything I am involved in in the future will have the passion of Saint Joseph’s.”

Kelsey Haberin ’16

CAS Kelsey

“I’m terrified and excited to begin the Disney College Program.”

Kelsey Haberin ’16, a communication studies major from Pennington, New Jersey, has been accepted into the Disney College Program. The program offers networking opportunities with Disney leaders and personal and career development classes. Kelsey will work in attractions with tasks including anything from operating rides to helping guests navigate the park.

Kyle Molock ’16

“I will spend the summer studying for my CPA and start working in August with PWC.”kyle m

Kyle Molock is a senior accounting and business intelligence major from Dublin, Ohio. Kyle was recruited by head coach Phil Martelli to be a star player on the men’s basketball team. Unfortunately after struggling with injury Kyle was not able to play, but remained a part of the basketball family. He also became a member of the DSP fraternity and continued to strive in the classroom. In August he will begin working full-time with PWC with their Risk Assurance line of service.

Bonus Quote: “I overcame my injury by realizing that there was more to who I am than an athlete. No matter how good you are, athletics ends at some point for everybody. And the injuries sped up that process for me. I viewed it as one stage of my life ending, and another one beginning. I knew I could be successful doing whatever I put my mind to.”

Christina Mirarchi ’16

CAS Christina“I was inspired to become a teacher by my service learning science outreach at Gompers.”

Christina Mirarchi 16, a biology major from West Chester, Pennsylvania, will be participating in ACE ND beginning in August. During the program, she will receive her master’s in education and teach middle school science and religion in Atlanta, Georgia in a high needs school district.

Mia Tompkins’16

Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset

Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset

“I am so excited to start working at Campbell’s Soup Company.”

Mia Tompkins is a senior food marketing and business intelligence major from Ocean City, New Jersey. Mia will be working as a Sales Analyst at Campbell’s Soup Company. She began interning with Campbell’s after her junior year and is excited to become a part of their Sales Operation Team. Mia is a member of the DSP Fraternity and minors in Spanish.

Follow  &  on Twitter to learn about a new member of the class of each weekday.