Properly Connecting Your Electronic Devices to Power When Abroad

If you are traveling abroad for any reason, whether it be for a Study Tour, vacation, or visiting friends and family, it is a good idea to be prepared for the task of properly connecting your “American” electronic devices to the power outlets of other countries.  In many cases you will only need to purchase a power plug adapter (a.k.a. travel adapter), which is a device that simply allows you to “adapt” your 2-prong or 3-prong “American” plug into the plug type of other countries, since the power supplies of many electronic devices will accept a power input ranging from 100 Volts to 240 Volts.  The documentation that came with your electronic device and/or the power supply itself will say what input level the power supply can handle.  If the country you are traveling to has power outlets that provide 220V and the power supply of your electronic device DOES NOT accept a power input of 220V you will need to purchase a voltage converter (a.k.a. power converter).  A voltage converter is a device that converts 220V to 110V and vice versa.

Leave a Reply