See below for complete descriptions of the forms and action steps for getting things done.  Please note that the following information is intended for students who are majoring in the College of Arts and Sciences.  Procedures may vary for students who are majoring in the Haub School of Business.  HSB students should consult with the William F. Leahy Advising Center.  All forms may be downloaded from this site.  Paper copies are also available in the CAS Advising Support Center (BL 117).

Form Name Advisor signature required Chair signature required Associate Dean signature required1
Course Overload Yes No Yes2
Withdrawal from a Course Yes No No
Independent Study Request Faculty Mentor Signature
Yes (for the Course)
Permission to take a course elsewhere Yes Yes (if taking a major or minor course)
Change from Credit to Audit
Also requires instructor’s signature
No No Yes3
Request Pass/No Penalty

1. For forms requiring a signature from an Associate Dean in the College of Arts & Sciences (Humanities, Social Sciences, Education, Natural Sciences, Math & Computer Science), students may drop off their form in the CAS Advising Center, BL 117.

2. Associate Dean for the division in which your major is offered.

3. Associate Dean for the division in which the course is offered.

Course Overload Form

  • Advisor signature required
  • Associate Dean Signature Required, from the Associate Dean for the division in which your major is offered.
  • Required Form:  Course Overload Form

Students must request permission to take six (6) courses in a semester.  Permission to take a sixth course requires a superior academic record; exceptions may be made at the discretion of the dean’s office. Additional tuition is charged for this overload. In most cases, full-time tuition includes up to 17 credits per semester.The credit limit is higher for students who are majoring in the sciences because of the lab hours required.

Steps to request permission to take a sixth course

  • Complete the first portion of the request form indicating your reason for the overload.
  • Meet with your faculty advisor to obtain his/her approval.
  • Submit your form to the CAS Advising Center in Barbelin 117 to obtain the signature of the Associate Dean for your major

Withdrawal from a Course

A student who wishes to withdraw from a course after the add/drop period must complete a course withdrawal form. A student withdrawing with appropriate permission will receive a W on his/her transcript. A student who stops attending class without appropriate permission will receive the grade VF or FA. Please see the University’s Academic Calendar for the deadline to withdraw from a class.

Note: A request for withdrawal from a course made after the deadline to withdraw requires an extraordinary and unusual reason, the recommendation of the instructor, and the approval of the Associate Dean for the Division in which the course is offered. Please see the SJU Academic Calendar for the last day to withdraw from a course for the current semester. Students seeking an extraordinary withdrawal should go to their Advising Center for further information.

Independent Study Approval

Students who have completed four regular semesters with an overall grade point average of 3.0 (or cumulative average of 3.4 or higher for courses in the major field) may, with the prior approval of the Department Chair and Dean’s office, register each semester for one upper division course in the major field (or a closely related field) to be taken in the Independent Study/Directed Readings or Research/Tutorial format.

Permission to Take a Course Elsewhere/Transfer Courses

Two Step Process

    • Signature Form
      • If requesting to take a business course, HSB Chair of relevant department signature required
      • Advisor signature required
      • Chair signature required (if taking a major or minor course)
      • CIP signature required (if course is outside the US or Puerto Rico)
    • Online Form
      • Signature form required
      • Syllabus required

Students may be permitted to take courses for degree credit with approval from the Dean’s Office (forms should be submitted online). Unless an approved degree program provides otherwise, no more than six such courses (of the 40 required) may be credited toward the degree, and no more than two courses may be credited each summer, and one course during intersession. Students may not take summer courses in order to advance their degree. DO NOT register for the course until appropriate approvals have been obtained. Transfer grades do not affect the calculation of your GPA. A grade of “C” or better is required in order for the credit to be granted. A C- grade is not adequate.

Change from Credit to Audit

  • Instructor signature required
  • Associate Dean Signature Required, from the Associate Dean for the division in which the course is offered.
  • Required Form: Change from Credit to Audit form

Full-time students may opt to change a course status from credit to audit. A student requesting this change should meet with the instructor to discuss the change. Audited courses appear on a student’s grade report and on the official record with the grade X. The Dean may allow a student to change from credit to audit status no later than two weeks after the end of the quarter, but not to avoid penalties imposed through the University’s Academic Honesty Policy. The reverse change, from audit to credit status, is not permitted.

Please note that students who are auditing a course are required to attend class and do regular assignments and exercises. They are not required to take the final exam or write a term paper. Exceeding the class cut policy determined by the instructor will result in the grade being changed from audit to withdrawal (W).

Steps to request a course be changed from credit to audit:

  • Meet with your instructor to discuss your reasons for changing from credit to audit and to obtain his/her recommendation.
  • Obtain approval of Associate Dean of the Division in which the course is offered.  For CAS classes, drop off the form in the CAS Advising Center (BL 117).  For HSB classes, please see Associate Dean Edward Balotsky, Ph.D.  (MV 160).
  • Submit the original to Hawk Central (BL 121) and retain a copy for your records.

Pass/No Penalty

Please consult with the SJU Undergrad Programs Catalog for more information. Juniors and seniors may take up to two (2) free electives during their undergraduate career, on a pass/no penalty basis. The final course grade has no effect on the students GPA, and credits will be earned if a passing grade is attained. A student can declare only one pass/no penalty course per semester. This declaration can only be made during the first week of the semester.