Attending a Virtual Fair or Meet-Up this semester? Use the information on this page to learn more about how to set yourself up for success.
Registering & Signing Up For Sessions
The following steps will help you register and sign up for meetings with employers at the fair:
- Click the button below to join the fair and sign up for 1:1 and group meetings with employers. For step by step instructions, please watch this video.
- Once you're registered for the fair, you'll be able to view and sign up for available employer sessions. Click the Available Sessions tab in the upper-left of the page, below the fair title and date/time.
*IMPORTANT: You must register for employer sessions in advance. You can only attend sessions you registered for.
- When you locate an employer that you'd like to sign up for a session with, look for the session information to appear below the employer name and description. Click on the name of the session you'd like to sign up for.
- Group sessions will have a custom title and indicate a length of 30 minutes.
- 1:1 sessions are indicated by "One on One with EMPLOYER NAME". Each session is 10 minutes in length. You can choose which representative to attend a 1:1 session with, if multiple are listed.
- Some employers have set qualifications to define which students can register for their sessions. To ensure you qualify for employer sessions, make sure you have filled out the following fields on your profile: School year, major and GPA and work authorization status
- As you sign up for sessions, a list of sessions will populate to the right of your screen in Handshake. Click on the name of a session to see more information about the session or cancel your reservation. You can also click on the the tab for Your Sessions in the upper-left of the fair's page to see a list of sessions. Click on RSVPed to see more information about the session or cancel your reservation.
Preparing for the Fair
Here are some best practices to help you prepare for a successful fair:
- Ensure you have the right setup to support your audio (required) and video (optional). Check out this article if you need help troubleshooting.
- Complete your Handshake profile. *You must have an updated profile to participate in the fair.
- If you already have an uploaded and approved resume, use this short-cut to build your profile from your resume.
- Fill out your Education Section! Click the pencil next to your name and make sure you have your Major and Start/End Dates filled out.
- Fill out your Work Experience, make sure your Work Experience has a Job title, Employer, Time Period and Location.
- Add an Organization and Extracurricular Activities.
- Add multiple skills, documents, courses, projects.
- Add a profile picture.
- Upload a resume to your profile, if you haven't already! Click here to learn how to upload a new document.
Participating in the Fair
- On the day of the virtual fair, navigate to the fair in Handshake and click on the Your sessions tab. *You must be signed up for the 1:1 session at least one minute prior to the session start in order to join.
- Click the blue Launch Video button in order to join the session. The link will NOT be active until the employer has joined the session. Check out this article if you need help troubleshooting.
- As long as you're signed up for the session successfully, you'll be able to launch video at any point after the session has started. Participants may leave a session and rejoin, but may only be connected to a session via one device.
- Be mindful of your time: you only have the allotted 10 minutes for your 1:1 sessions.
Remember that even though you won’t be meeting with employers in person, it is still important to:
- Dress professionally
- Find a quiet spot and a neutral background
- Arrive on time
- Maintain eye contact and practice active listening
- Ask questions
Keep the Momentum Going!
- Send follow-up emails. Thank the employer for taking the time to meet with you and highlight something you learned or enjoyed about the conversation.
- View and apply to open jobs or internships. Keep the momentum going from your meetings with employers. Check out their page on Handshake to see current jobs and internships. Recruiters are logging into Handshake daily to find students for open jobs—so it’s the best place to apply! If you’re not ready to apply yet, save the jobs you like so you’ll get notifications to apply before the deadlines. Find tips for applying to jobs on Handshake here.
- Video: Introducing Students to Virtual Fairs
- Student Blog: 10 Tips for Attending a Virtual Career Fair
- Student Blog: Virtual Career Fairs Are Here! Next Stop: Getting Hired
- Help Article: Handshake's Guide to Attending a Virtual Fair for Students
- Help Article: Signing up for Sessions at a Virtual Fair
- Help Article: Participating in a Virtual Fair
- Help Article: Video Requirements and Troubleshooting for Students
How do I access the fair?
- Navigate to the Events page of Handshake, then use the “Career Fair” option to identify virtual fairs on the Handshake platform.
- The fair sessions will all take place on Handshake; you will not need to access any other platforms unless employers choose to use a third-party platform. Specific directions will be shared in these situations.
- Handshake’s Student Walkthrough Video
How is the fair setup? What types of employer meetings are available to me?
- Employers are able to host two types of sessions to interact with students:
- Group Sessions: 30 minutes each, multiple students can attend
- 1:1 Sessions: 10 minutes each, one student and one employer representative can attend
- In these sessions, employers will be identified as the Host, and they will be able to share their screen with participants.
How do I sign up for sessions?
- In order to sign up for sessions with employers, you must be registered for the fair. For details on this process, please see Signing up For Virtual Fair Sessions.
- You'll be able to sign up for sessions up to one minute before the start time, however we recommend that you sign up for session as soon as possible as they may fill up.
How should I prepare for the fair?
- Ensure you have the right set up to support your audio (required) and video (optional).
- Complete your profile
- Upload a resume to your profile, if you haven't already!
- Check out Handshake’s blog post for more tips on how to stand out in a virtual fair!
Will I be able to submit my resume to employers? Without joining sessions?
- Yes! Students will be able to sign up to meet with employers in 1:1 and group sessions during a virtual fair, and employers will have access to these students’ resumes before and after the fair.
- Students will need to meet with an employer in order for their resume to be visible.
Can I participate if I live internationally?
- There are no restrictions by location, so as long as the student has logged into Handshake they will be able to participate.
Can a student see previously attended sessions?
- Yes! You will be able to see previous sessions within the sessions tab.
Will students, employers and career center staff members have access to transcripts of the chats they had during the virtual fair?
- Transcripts will not be provided for conversations held during the fair. Instead, there will be moderation options for students and employers to utilize during conversations.