A Non-Partisan Call to Action

political-partyDuring the past two weeks, it’s been pretty much impossible to avoid political rhetoric on social media, in the newspaper, on tv, and sometimes even walking down the street. For a lot of people, all of this convention talk has been a massive headache. In my personal life, I’ve experienced people my age deciding to ignore it all with the common phrase, “I don’t like talking about politics.” And, honestly, this isn’t necessarily a bad thing. We don’t have to talk about it, but we do need to pay some kind of attention to the events that will determine what kind of future we have.

The thing that does worry me about the general attitude that college students have towards politics is that I’m afraid that people will be giving up the right to have their voice heard on Tuesday, November 8th. It’s totally fine to hate politics; but we need to acknowledge that these issues are extremely likely to impact us in some way, shape, or form. In a short few years, we will be entering the job market, buying a house, paying bills, so on and so forth. The real world is just a stone’s throw away, and this upcoming election will play a part in how easy our transition is.

What I’m trying to say is that we need to vote. We, young adults, need to vote. I truly do not care who you vote for. All I ask is that you maybe do a little reading, or even just turn on the tv, and see which of the candidates you would like to be your president.

Hopefully you’re saying to yourself, “Okay, I want to vote but I’m not registered.” No problem! There are three ways to register: 1) online, 2) by mail and 3) in person. All of these are great options. Realistically, most of us are probably going to register online, because, you know, it involves not leaving your bed/desk/etc. The deadlines to register to vote in this election vary by state, but the earliest I have seen is October 10th. A quick Google search can give you an answer for your state.

If you’re like me and you attend school in a different state than your home state and can’t go home for the election, you need to apply for an absentee ballot. This is the only slightly tricky part. You can find all of the information you need to acquire an absentee ballot on this fantastic website. If you are registered and ready to go, you just have to mail your ballot in before Election Day.

For more information, visit RockTheVote.com, which is a non-partisan, non-profit organization that encourages young people to vote.

Like I said, vote for whomever you want, but just vote!

Posted in: Uncategorized