The Bittersweet Sound of Silence

I’ve never believed that silence is golden. To me, silence is more like tin, or copper, or one of those elements on the bottom of the periodic table that no one knows about, but is still there. Don’t get me wrong; I have learned to cope with silence to a certain point. Admittedly there are benefits to silence.

It’s suffocating, yet calming. Frightening, but comforting. Lonely, but filling. But, you can only go so long without sound. Without the voice of someone else, without music, without the sound of the gentle rain falling on your window.

I haven’t quite figured out how to deal with silence, and I don’t think I ever will. It’s something everyone has to deal with at some point.

People often look for silence when they have a lack of it in their lives. For example, a city dweller may take pleasure from going camping for a few days to be away from the sounds of construction, tires screeching, music blaring, and people screaming about whatever deity they want you to believe in. Yet, someone who is accustomed to silence is less likely to find comfort in the city. The sounds are overwhelming and frightening. They may go back to the silence with a new appreciation; or they could develop a desire to be with the clamor once again.

In college, it can be very difficult to find quiet time for yourself. At first I loved that. I loved that I was always around people having fun, but then I began to want alone time. There were times where I just needed a break from all the noise and there’s nothing wrong with that. Sometimes you just need a break from the stresses of college and socializing.

I don’t prefer silence over the sound of other people, but I have found a new appreciation for it.

Posted in: Student Life