The Pride of Opinions

As an English major, I do some weird things. I am unreasonably attached to literary characters, I throw books across rooms when I don’t like the endings, and I fan girl over authors. One of my favorite authors of all time is Ray Bradbury. Bradbury taught me the secret to writing, which just happens to be one of the secrets to surviving life. You can’t let anyone disrespect your opinions. They’re YOUR opinions! It is indeed very possible to change your opinions, but it is absolutely never, ever, EVER okay for anyone to make you feel as though your opinions are somehow irrelevant; as if what you think does not matter.

Photo Courtesy of James Vaughan
Photo Courtesy of James Vaughan

Ray Bradbury inspired the attitude I have in my writings. Not to fear what others might think of my thoughts, but to just have them, and if someone doesn’t like it, tell them to just go do something with their opinion that I probably should not say on this public blog. You should never feel like you cannot express your opinions.

Inevitably, people are going to disagree with you, but you should never let that discourage you from expressing yourself. You are entitled to have not one, not two, but a plethora of opinions! No one can tell you otherwise, and if they do, you may want to reconsider who you hang out with.

It can be incredibly frustrating when people don’t listen to you and what you think. To be fair, I probably don’t know you and you could very well have opinions I disagree with and don’t like, however, I would never stop you from having those opinions. As long as you respect my opinion I will respect yours.

All you umpires, back to the bleachers. Referees, hit the showers. It’s my game. I pitch, I hit, I catch. I run the bases. At sunset I’ve won or lost. At sunrise, I’m out again, giving it the old try.

And no one can help me. Not even you.

-Ray Bradbury

Posted in: Uncategorized