Working out without going to the gym

When I came to college I stopped playing sports because I no longer had the time to dedicate to practices and to games. To make up for the lack of physical activity that I attempted to go to the gym a few times only to realize that it just wasn’t for me.

To be honest, I hate using the machines at the gym. They’re large, bulky, and anything that I have to pull down is difficult to use because I’m barely tall enough to reach anything (I’m only five feet tall). I prefer to use free weights so working out in my apartment saves me the trouble of having to travel back and forth between campus and my apartment just to get a little bit of exercise.

So what do you do when you need to workout but don’t want to make the trek to the gym? Workout at home of course! You can always workout by yourself but if you have roommates or live in a suite, it could be fun to have friends join in with you.

From Pinterest to Youtube everything that you need for a good workout plan can be found somewhere on the internet. I personally love using FitnessBlender.com by Kelli and Daniel Segars. They started off with just a Youtube channel and then created their own website. The channel has over 500 videos all for free. If you make an account on their website (also free) you can make a calendar with any of their videos and they also give tips for clean eating, determining your workout level, and pretty much everything that you need in order to get started. Although most of their videos are free, they do also have four- and eight-week programs that you can buy for really cheap. These are really useful when you aren’t sure what exercises you need to do.

There are also a ton of other Youtube channels available including Xhit Daily, Blogilates and BeFit just to name a few. It all really depends on what works for you and what you want to accomplish. So if you decide that you want to get moving without having to go to the gym, these could definitely work for you!

Posted in: Health, Wellness & Safety