Delaware Valley Student Affairs Conference 2016

After joining the Student Union Board here on campus, I realized that planning events for college campuses was something that I enjoyed and was pretty good at. So I started talking to a few administrators around campus about pursuing a job in Student Affairs. This includes all of the departments that oversee RAs, orientation leaders, programming boards, Greek Life and much more.

On Friday, I attended the 42nd Delaware Valley Student Affairs Conference with another student from SJU. She and I were serving as interns for the conference, which was an initiative that was implemented for the first time this year. In total, there were five interns, and although there wasn’t much “intern work” for us to do, we got to help with some of the pre-conference set up and our attendance fee was covered!

One of the best things about the conference is that there were a lot of friendly faces around including Lou Gardiner (Residential Area Manager, Residence Life), Bill Bordak (Director, Community Standards), Mary-Elaine Perry (Assistant Vice President for Student Development), Katie Bean (Assistant Director, Student Outreach and Support), Alex Daniels-Iannucci (Assistant Director for Student Success) and Dan McDevitt (Director for Student Success & First Year Experience). They are all people that I have either gotten used to seeing in passing or worked closely with over the past four years. It was also a plus that I attended the conference with one of my friends who is also a senior.

Throughout the conference we attended three sessions, had an amazing lunch, and got to network with current Student Affairs professionals and graduate students that were just entering the field. My favorite session was called ‘Tearing Down Towers: Collaboration between Academic and Student Affairs,’ which talked about the importance of academic advisers communicating with those in charge of extracurricular activities in order to ensure that students are thriving in all aspects of their college career.

If at any point you are considering being involved in some aspect of Student Affairs, I would definitely recommend this conference, because it’s the perfect way to narrow down your interest and see where you would fit most comfortably.

If this interests you at all, you can find details for the conference on Facebook, Twitter, or email DVSAC1974@gmail.com.

Posted in: After SJU (Graduation & Post-Graduation), Intellectual Curiosities, Internships & Experiential Learning, Philadelphia & Region, Student Life, Student Organizations & Clubs