Galentine’s Day 2016

galentines day

The term “Galentine’s Day” was first brought to us via the comedic gold that is NBC’s Parks and Recreation. For some, this special holiday is celebrated on February 13th, but others celebrate it on the 14th, sort of as an anti-Valentine’s Day celebration. Galentine’s Day is a time for girl friends to come together and celebrate one another. If you’ve read my Hawk Mate post, you know I’m a big fan of empowering female friendships. And now, thanks to Leslie Knope, there’s a whole day to celebrate these friendships.

I’m not an anti-Valentine’s Day crusader or anything; I think it’s important to celebrate the happiness found in romantic relationships as well. I just think Galentine’s Day is a fantastic concept. Hollywood has taught us that you can spend V-Day in one of two ways: Either you are in a very happy relationship and you go out to an expensive restaurant with your significant other and you’ve never been more in love; or you are alone, sitting on your couch, alone, watching a rom-com, with a box of chocolates that you bought for yourself and a bottle of wine. These two images indicate that if you are in a relationship then you must be happy on the 14th of February, and if you are single then you must be sad–no questions asked. If you are not in a relationship then you must spend a whole day wallowing in self-pity. I don’t think I have to explain why this idea is super lame.

Galentine’s Day is for all the lady friends, single or not, to hang out and celebrate one another. Whether you exchange gifts, have a night out on the town, or a movie night in, it’s important to celebrate this special holiday. Movies tell us that we can’t be happy on Valentine’s Day unless we’re in a relationship, as if a relationship status is supposed to determine happiness. I think that friendships are just as important as romantic relationships, and both deserve recognition.

So get out there! Celebrate your girl friends! Show some love and do something fun. lady time gif

Posted in: Family & Friends