New Year Resolutions: Yay or Nay?

581x656.gifMost people seem to either be avidly in favor of making New Year resolutions or avidly against making New Year resolutions. While everybody’s got their reasons, one way or another, I am 100% a New Year resolutions person.

At the start of 2015, after returning from a semester abroad, I lived off campus for the first time and truly started to feel like an upperclassmen. With that feeling came my resolution to find an internship closely related to my field: education. It started to hit me that I had only three semesters left and the handful of jobs I’d held had not actually given me any real experience in what I hoped to do for the rest of my life. Sorry to the spa where I checked clients in and out and sold membership packages.

After one semester working with a non-profit organization that provides SAT preparation and college access resources to low-income high school students, I not only learned more about my field, but refined my career goals with a new focus on college access. For the first time ever, I had a job that solidified a sense of purpose in all my hard work. I worked towards a specific goal, built relationships with my students and my SAT coaches who worked with the students, and found new energy in the process. Rather than dreading my work, I looked forward to being with my group two times a week and quite frankly, I felt like I was doing something that mattered. 

This year, as a second semester senior, I have a LOT of big goals for the upcoming year, but I’m freaked out about making too many New Years resolutions and failing to live up to my word. But, you can’t win if you don’t play, right? Here’s what I’m working with … and if you have any tips, trick, or words of encouragement, please comment below!

Move to D.C.

Originally, when I started looking at post-grad opportunities, I was open to both relocating to a new East Coast city and to staying in Philadelphia. At some point, I hope to pursue a Master’s Degree in School Counseling, but I am currently pursuing the advice of a mentor in doing some type of work that will put me in contact with the field for a few years. My current desire is to work as a college access counselor for high school students, but I can also see myself moving to higher ed at some point, so this type of experience will help me pin down what I really do (or don’t) want to do. Having so many options for what to do and the inability to decide on one for sure, a friend asked me “Kayla, do you want to have the perfect job or live in the perfect city?” With that, I decided on the perfect city: Washington D.C. This New Year resolution scares me the most because I really want to just up and move to D.C., but what if I find a super cool opportunity elsewhere? *sigh* Such is life, eh?

Set up a personal blog to generate income.

My first blogging experience was my travel blog during my semester abroad in Granada and I’d call it an overall success. Since I didn’t commit myself to keeping a schedule, I didn’t blog quite as much as I would have liked and I sort of just fell off the map when I came back home, but I went for it and it was an experience that led me here … the St. Joe’s blog. I’ve come to find that I love blog-writing and I have the opportunity to connect with new people who have similar interests and to hear great feedback about whatever I’m writing. Having been on the blogging scene for some time and hoping to continue pursuing this interest after graduation, what better time than now to set up my own personal blog that will (eventually, if I do it well) pay some bills?

Read 12-15 books.  

Don’t we always say we wish we’d read more? Now, I’m putting it on paper and making it happen!

For me, my New Year resolutions are typically big goals or things I’d like to accomplish over the course of one year, rather than the “daily” resolutions like giving up soda, going to the gym 3x per week, or spending 2 hours in the library per day doing homework. My style is such that I have to see the forest through the trees in order to see the trees through the forest. I need to know where I’m going in order to do what it takes to get there. Other people can manage the small-scale weekly or monthly tasks better and are more satisfied by seeing how much progress they can rack up after a significant chunk of time. Others still might just start working on their goals whenever they see fit, not waiting for a specific time marker or life event to start working.

Talk to me below about how you like to set goals and plan to be a better you! What’s your style? What does and does not work for you? Are you a planner or do you go with the wind? Do you go small- or large-scale to kickstart the process? And most importantly, what are YOU going to accomplish in 2016?

Thanks for reading and Happy New Year! 

500x350.gif-1

Posted in: After SJU (Graduation & Post-Graduation), Family & Friends, Intellectual Curiosities, Study Abroad