The Homestretch

Homestretch

Noun

1. The part of a racecourse between the last turn and the winning post

2. A final stage

Well my fellow Hawks, it’s happened, we’ve reached the homestretch, the final countdown, the end of the beginning whatever you want to call it. The final two weeks of the semester where it’s perfectly acceptable for me to cry hysterically to Adele’s new album (perfect timing by the way, Adele you beautiful land mermaid), catch the sleepy ha ha’s because I’m sleep deprived and will laugh at everything (literally anything and everything) and most importantly, claim my spot in the library for finals week (third floor old side).

These two weeks are possibly the most stressful of the entire semester. It’s finals week, it’s every professor will assign a paper or project before the semester is done week, it’s oh, God, I have to clean out everything and is it even worth unpacking my clothes from Thanksgiving week.

It would be ridiculous for me to tell you not to panic because that’s just not possible. You’re going to panic. I’m panicking just thinking about all the stuff I still have left to do. You should know though, you’re not alone. Finals week is the one time of the semester everyone can be a little cranky and you just have to accept the “I’m sorry, it’s finals week” excuse as legitimate, even though you may not want to.

When overly optimistic people ask you about finals week

It’s important to study and get your projects/papers done, but don’t let it go to your head. After my first college finals week, I went home and essentially slept for two days straight because I was emotionally and physically exhausted. I woke up at noon, took a nap at 4, woke up for dinner at 7 and then was back asleep by 11 PM to do it the next day. As much as I love sleeping, this is not a healthy way to live.

So, here are some tips to survive your finals week!

#1: Eat something!

Because of all the studying and working during finals week, people often forget to have their 3 meals a day and just rely on coffee as their form of nourishment. That’s just not healthy. Make sure you’re eating actual food, not just snacks from the care package.

#2: Take a break

Taking breaks is actually essential to studying. You’ll fry your brain if you study for 3 hours straight. The university often offers study breaks in the forms of movie nights and PAWS for a break (an event where you get to play with dogs in the library! What could be more fun than that?!). It doesn’t have to be a two hour break as you catch up on whatever show you’re binge watching, but there’s nothing wrong with taking a 15 minute break to read your favorite magazine or check social media. Set a timer so you know when to get back to work.

#3: Talk to people

I personally have been known to disappear during midterms and finals week, which has its benefits and its drawbacks. I miss seeing my friends and talking to my family during these times and finals week is probably when I need to talk to them the most. Text your friends and wish them good luck on their finals and call your parents to let them know you haven’t decided to become a street artist and move to Australia.

#4 Get some sleep

Every person has pulled at least one all nighter in their entire education experience, but try not to make it during finals week. You need as much rest as you can get so you’ll be prepared to actually take your finals.

Good luck!

Posted in: Student Life