Mental Health Day

Now that finals are approaching, some of us are reaching the point where we spend more time in the library than in our apartments because we’re trying to stay on top of everything, but somehow keep slipping behind, and as a result we are sleep deprived beyond belief.

If you fall into this category, then hopefully you will find this useful.

Sometimes, the best thing that you can do for yourself, is take a mental health day.

Let me start by saying that just because you are taking a mental health day, that does not mean that there is anything wrong with you.

A lot of people (especially college students) don’t realize that EVERYONE has to take care of themselves mentally, just like you take care of yourself physically. If you’re stressed over an upcoming exam or just had a fight with your best friend, know that those things have an effect on your mental health. We all feel stressed and get anxious sometimes. We just have to find the coping mechanisms that work best for us.

The purpose of a mental health day is to take some time to clear your head, take care of your body, and regain your energy. This process is different for everyone, so take the day (or even just the morning) to do things that relax you. If yoga is your thing, do it. Maybe go off campus and get a massage. Do whatever it is  you need to do to feel recharged for the next day.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not telling you to skip class and watch Netflix in bed all day. In fact, that doesn’t help anything so save it for a lazy Sunday. Instead I’m saying, know when your body has had enough.

When I take a mental health day, my first step in to catch up on sleep. I don’t function well when I’m sleep deprived, and I know that in order to be productive, I have to fix that. Next, I’ll probably work out. I stopped playing sports when I came to St Joe’s but I still try to work out at least five days a week. It makes me feel better and gets my energy up. After that, I map out everything that I need to do for classes, student organizations, RA, etc. Write down everything that you need to do and prioritize it. Start with the things that are due first and work your way through the list, checking things off as you go.

By the end of your mental health day, you should feel as if your life has fallen back into place, at least a little bit. So, before you get to the point where you feel like you’re about to break, take a deep breath and prepare to take a day off. You deserve it!

Posted in: Academics, Health, Wellness & Safety, Studying, Classes & Lectures