It’s Fitness Time!

As the weather starts to cool down and the nights begin to arrive sooner, it is quite apparent that fall is definitely here and winter is, dare I say, quickly approaching. With this change in season comes the usual slump of not wanting to leave your toasty bed, and thus not wanting to work out. I get it — its cold outside and warm inside; it really is quite logical which option to choose.

Back home I really would not have this problem of what to do for fitness because I always had sports practices, but here at school I really had to adjust to working out without my usual designated practice times. Here at SJU, there are a lot of options for the non-D1 athletes who still like to stay in shape, and I have only just begun to discover all that’s available here!

Gym:

My current routine for staying in shape at school has been to go to the dorm gym, which is located in every freshman residence hall. This is amazingly convenient because you don’t even have to walk outside! All of the amenities are in there including treadmills, elliptical, stationary bikes, and various lifting equipment. If you happen to not be living in a freshmen dorm, then there are still options for gym time, with O’Pake and Hagan on either side of campus.

Classes:

There are many group exercise classes that you can enroll in which take place at designated times on certain days of the week, that way you really don’t have any excuse not to go. There are many classes to take, like Body Attack or Dance Party Cardio! The best part about these classes is that you can go with your friends and just have fun! If you are not looking to pay to attend classes that you are not sure if you will like, you can always test them out through the free classes offered by the Student Union Board, such as Pilates and yoga!

Intramural/Club:

So you’re not Division 1 material, but you still want to keep playing sports? No worries because SJU has got you covered! If you’re looking to still play competitively, club sports are for you. If you want to keep active in sports, but maybe don’t want the time commitment then intramural sports are right up your alley. The best part about joining either of these teams is that you get to meet new people, and expand your friend group with people who have likeminded interests.

Staying in shape, of course, is a personal preference, but I know there are many students here at SJU, like myself, who want to continue with their usual fitness regimes. In order to do this it does take some planning, since classes and homework keep you busy, finding time to fit in a workout can sometimes pose a challenge. For me, I don’t have a set schedule; but when I find I have free time, I make sure to put down my readings and head for a run. Though I have yet to venture outside for a run, I am hoping to go out soon and run in this gorgeous fall weather we are having here in Philadelphia.

Not only is staying in shape great for your physical health, but, also, for your sanity. I find that when I have been working on a project for a while I look forward to finishing it and getting to workout, which is something I never really got excited to do before. You will learn that there is something for everyone here, and finding a routine that works for your schedule will soon fall into place.

Posted in: Events & Activities, Health, Wellness & Safety, Student Life, Student Organizations & Clubs

2 responses to “It’s Fitness Time!

1. ovbal says:

Thanks for the tips! Happy new year 2016!

2. Asmal says:

Even though staying in shape is a personal preference in post secondary years, it’s interesting that in high school, “gym class” or Phys. Ed. is mandatory.

Wouldn’t it be interesting if some type of physical fitness was mandatory for everyone no matter how old?