#ATime4Change

If you don’t already know, this week is Alcohol Awareness Week and today was Black Out Day. This week takes place every year, right before Halloween and is hosted by the Wellness, Alcohol, and Drug Education (WADE) office. Black Out Day is a day where students sign up to take a vow of silence from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. to honor those who are in recovery, or have been lost to alcohol related tragedies such as overdose, addiction, and suicide.

Not only do we help spread awareness about the dangers of alcohol use, but everyone who participates is educated on the signs of alcohol poisoning. Many people participate because they have a personal connection ,or simply because they want to help raise awareness. I have participated the past four years, not only because it’s a great cause but, also, because my cousin was killed by a drunk driver when I was 12, so my family has been deeply impacted by the negative consequences of careless drinking.

When we sign up for this ‘vow of silence,’ we don’t just mean that we stop speaking. We cannot answer text messages, respond to emails, or interact on social media either. For most people, that is the hardest part. For me, it’s not being able to say “thank you” to someone who holds a door open, or not being able to say “bless you” when someone sneezes (that’s how I broke my vow freshman year 🙁 ). After the first time it gets easier though!

If you haven’t participated in Black Out Day, I highly recommend it. It’s about a lot more than just not talking for a day. Not only do you get to raise awareness about a common issue on college campuses, you show your fellow Hawks that you care 🙂

If you want to know more information about the resources available from WADE click here!

Posted in: Events & Activities, Family & Friends, Health, Wellness & Safety