On Being

I spent a lot of the second semester of my junior year being absolutely frantic about my future after St. Joe’s. One of my professors joked with me that my freak outs were incredibly pre-mature; and I responded that I was always one who liked to do things ahead of schedule. As a senior, I am constantly asked what my plans are after graduation and what I want to do with my life; and I’m expected to give a real, serious answer. Well, here’s my answer: I just want to be.

I want to be happy. I want to wake up every single day, from now until forever, filled with joy and excitement. I want my days to be composed of laughing, smiling, and having thought provoking conversations. I want to encounter people on a daily basis and learn what it is that makes them tick. I want to see the way their eyes light up when they talk about something they are passionate about. I want to continue to build relationships and make lasting friendships. I want to be a good listener, a good friend, and someone people can count on.hot air balloon

I want to be amazed. I want to travel the world and see everything that it has to offer. I want to swim (or rather float) in the Dead Sea. I want to see how the waves crash gently into the rocks along the shore while visiting the island of Capri. I want to go to Oxford’s library and look at one of the world’s best collection of books. I want to go to Cappadocia, Turkey and ride in a hot air balloon over the ancient rock formations. I want to continue to be surprised by the compassion and generosity people show to others. I want to continue to be in absolute awe after I read a really good book.

I want to be a scholar. I want to go on and continue to learn. I want to get a Master’s degree and maybe one day a Ph.D. I want to continue to be transported into different worlds when reading good books. I want to continue going on journeys alongside some of literature’s most famous characters. I want to continue to learn about the world around me and its rich history. I want to learn about the unique intricacies and customs of other cultures. I want to learn new languages and be able to have a meaningful conversation with every person I encounter.

I want to be in love, and not solely in a romantic way. I hope to meet people and come to love them. I hope to fall in love with the places I visit. I hope to fall in love with a job and have a career that is meaningful. I hope to one day meet a nice young gent, whose craziness and thirst for life is compatible with mine. I hope to one day have the chance to be a mom and go to soccer games, school plays, and watch my own little brunette children find their voice.

I have no clue as to what I will be doing come May 15th 2016. I could be getting ready for my grand entrance into the real world, getting my backpack ready for graduate school, or packing my suitcase up to travel the world. But, whatever it is I’m doing, I know that I’m going to be okay. I simply am going to live life and make plans, but know that at some point I am going to have to crumple them up and throw them away. I want to see where life takes me and go into the great big world, continuing to live a life in search of beauty and happiness.

Posted in: Intellectual Curiosities, Internships & Experiential Learning, Uncategorized