The Inauguration of our 28th President

I have been lucky enough to witness two presidential inaugurations during my time at Saint Joe’s. However, each time was a completely different experience.

My freshman year was the year that Father Gillespie became our 27th president. Of course classes were cancelled and as a freshman I thought that it was a great opportunity to witness a part of campus history. My friend and I got out of bed early, got dressed up and then headed over to Hagan Arena. Because it was so long ago I don’t remember most of the details, but I remember thinking that it was a very nice ceremony as I watched from the seats that oversee the arena.

This time around, I had the opportunity to be more involved. As a representative of The Office of Residence Life and The Office of Multicultural Life, I walked into the arena in procession of student leaders, and watched the ceremony from the court. Afterward we headed out to the tent for food, drinks, and to watch students bombard Dr. Reed with selfies!

Maybe being a part of the inauguration is not as big a deal as I’m making it out to be. We didn’t actually do anything other than walk in and walk out, but it was still a fun time 🙂

Posted in: Events & Activities, SJU History & Mission