What I have learned in 4 years!

I am officially starting my senior year of college here at SJU. I have had an unbelievable time on this campus; this has been some of the best years of my life. As I reflect back on my years here at SJU, I am hit with the realization that an end is nearing; a culmination of 4 years of learning will soon end with graduation. As a freshman we all look forward to that day, but now as a senior the finality of graduation makes me a little melancholy. I remember my first days of touring the SJU campus. As I looked around, I took note of the friendliness of the students and staff. The willingness to show me the meaning of the “Magis.” I knew immediately that Hawk Hill was the right choice for me. Now, as a Senior I reflect back on what I have learned over these last four years, that have not only changed me but all of my friends too.

When you’re a freshman, walking onto the campus for the first time your focus is on grades, making friends, and what to do around campus. You travel in groups, gaining support from a core group of students who live in your dorm, typically on your floor. You are extremely concerned about being the best student possible, never being late to class, and fitting in. During sophomore year, you tend to settle down and focus is more on your major, careers and you have established a core set of friends. Junior year is relaxed. You typically are out of a dorm, in an apartment, feeling the freedom. Professors are no longer just “teachers,” they are an integral part of your success. You start to delve into the job market, looking for an internship, realizing how hard it is to get employment in “the real world” and looking forward to being a senior and graduating.

However, when you finally reach your senior year; you will realize that all of those other things you worried about in year’s prior were small in comparison to the finality of graduation. You are now more concerned about your life as a whole. Whether to continue school pursuing your MBA or looking for that coveted job in a flooded market, you realize now is the time to stand out! Your grades still remain a focus, but you begin to realize the power of relationships, connections and networking. Friends and family take on a whole new meaning in your senior year.

You have a strong group of friends, those that you can count on in any situation. You recognize that your friends, like you will move on to bigger and better things, but they are a group that you will remember fondly and if you a fortunate will keep in touch with for years to come.

Family is family. As the saying goes you can pick your friends but you can’t pick your family. As I look back on my years here at Saint Joseph’s University, I realize my family is the soul reason as to why I am here. Their guidance and understanding of me, lead me to my choices. As a freshman you do not have the understanding of how important family will be in your life. However, over four years as you learn and grow, you start to develop the true sense of the meaning family. Family is what keeps you going and keeps you happy no matter what. Family are there for you through the up and downs.

My time at SJU has given me a lot to reflect on. I have grown substantially as an individual over these years. I now understand the meaning of “Live greater that is the Magis”. Over the last four years I have learned many life lessons. SJU has molded me into the person I am today. I will forever be thankful to SJU and forever be proud to be a Hawk!

Posted in: Academics, Magis & Jesuit Identity, Student Life, Uncategorized