#magis

It’s Saturday night and I’m currently in my dorm room, listening to the new Beach House album, doing my homework for Tuesday (does that make me lame?) [nerds are hip, right?].

Recently, in my Civic Media class in the Communications department, we had discussed social capital and whether it had been declining or not and also digital media’s role in this decline or incline.  Then, when I went to do my Sociology of Migration homework that same night, I started reading the assigned book, which had started to discuss social capital and its relationship to Migration-Trust Networks. That couldn’t be a coincidence?

The next day I went to my Microeconomics class where we discussed the different organized economies (capitalism, mixed modern, and command and control). We focused mainly on capitalism and a democratic government, because we were focusing on the U.S.’s economy. Immediately after that class, I went straight to my History 154 class where we were discussing the ways that culture made Europe superior in the 1400s. I bet you can guess what two of the cultural factors were. Capitalism and democracy! Another coincidence?

Thinking back on these two encounters, I have recently come to this huge conclusion that Saint Joe’s is actually filled with so many phenomenal things (I already knew this, but it has become even more apparent over the last half hour). And that they are definitely not coincidences.

You might be thing: “Oh my gosh, this girl is nuts. How could doing her homework on a Saturday night by herself possibly lead her to this huge revelation?” Well, let me tell you!

I tweeted this 40 minutes ago:

Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 8.34.46 PM

4 minutes later the Saint Joseph’s twitter account responded to my reoccurring revelation:

Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 8.38.08 PM

There is no other possible explanation than this.

Saint Joe’s strives to provide students with a cohesive, interdisciplinary education. In my experience, for the past year and current two weeks of sophomore year (we made it through the first two weeks!!) I have felt this principle and ideal throughout my classes and activities.

Photo courtesy of Saint Joseph's University
Photo courtesy of Saint Joseph’s University

Roughly translated, magis means “the more.”

“A profound and deeply personal Jesuit concept, it’s about doing more, being more and achieving more than originally thought possible.”

At Saint Joe’s, I have grown tremendously both academically and personally.

Live greater. That’s the magis.

Posted in: Academics, Intellectual Curiosities, Magis & Jesuit Identity, Studying, Classes & Lectures