I understood that reference!

Photo courtesy of: Reddit
Photo courtesy of Reddit

Making friends is difficult. Sometimes you act differently (potentially more apathetic), or you feel the need to hold back (like when someone says the ending to How I Met Your Mother wasn’t that bad and you don’t want to scare them with how unbelievably angry it made you) or quite simply, you don’t want them to think you’re weird. Well, there’s good news. It’s basically what every Disney Channel original movie has tried to teach you, but you didn’t really pay attention because of the song numbers and ridiculous outfits. Just be yourself. People WANT to know about your obsessions, your odd quirks, essentially what makes you, you. They can either accept your obsessions and quirks or they can judge you harshly! (Try to focus on the former, not the latter).

One of the things that bonded me with one of my friends, Emma, was our love/obsession for the TV show Parks and Recreation (yes, you should watch it, it’s amazing). We celebrated this love/obsession by having Parks and Rec Tuesdays, where we would watch Parks and Recreation and discuss what was going on during commercials. We even celebrated the last episode the Leslie Knope way: by eating waffles. Parks and Rec Tuesdays would have never happened if I didn’t shamelessly admit to being obsessed with the show. We also introduced a couple of our friends to Parks and Rec and they also loved it; we were able to share our obsession with them, without them thinking we’re weird.

Another common and obvious bond between people is music. I can’t even begin to count how many friends I’ve made with my Fall Out Boy and Twenty One Pilots obsessions. Also, to most people’s complete surprise, my love of rap has gotten me a few friends as well. My love of Kendrick Lamar and Kanye West has led me to some thought provoking conversations with people. Don’t be afraid to share your guilty pleasures either! I will admit that sometimes I listen to the Jonas Brothers because they remind me of a simpler time, but I most definitely was not the only Jonas Brothers fan and probably am not the only one who still occasionally listens to them.

Not to mention, I’m a HUGE fan of the the image sharing website imgur. I introduced someone to it and she quickly became obsessed with it as well. We were able to talk about posts, make references and share images with each other. You can always share some of your favorite websites, articles, pictures, blogs (*cough* like this one *cough*) with your potential friends.

Everyone wants to make friends in college. There’s no such thing as the Boy Meets World, Saved by the Bell perfect universe where everyone all goes to the same college. You will grow apart from some of your friends, but don’t be afraid or feel guilty to make new ones. The truth is, maybe some of the things you like are weird. BUT another truth is you’re bound to find someone at college who likes the same things as you. If for some reason you don’t, introduce them to it! Maybe they’ll grow to like it or maybe they’ll hate it, but it’ll give you something to talk about; even better, bond over a new connection. In the words of Kurt Cobain, “wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.”

Posted in: Student Life