The Big Minor Decision, Financial Planning

It is okay for a student to not have their future planned out. Every future plan that I have is completely tentative. Coming into Saint Joseph’s, it is not necessary for students to know what they would like to do with their career. Saint Joseph’s will offer many new and unique experiences that will help students grow. The purpose and fun of college is figuring out what you want to do as you go along.

A minor is helpful and can help students learn about a career and not just a job. It can be related to your major or completely unrelated. If it is related, it can provide a new perspective of your major. I have heard of students choosing a minor with a possible future employer or industry in mind. For whatever reason the minor is chosen, it is always chosen with passion. Choosing a minor is the student going out of their way to pay special attention to a certain field of study.

As an accounting major at Saint Joseph’s, I am always in contact with the accounting firms that come to campus. After learning about the firms, I noticed that they provide financial planning services. These services help them to build strong relationships with their clients and increase revenue. This helped me come to the realization that accountants should have a financial planning background because it helps the firms build relationships with their clients.

While choosing a minor may be difficult, declaring a minor is simple and easy. Some students are surprised by how they could have two or even three minors. They are able to do this because of how requirement classes of a course schedule overlap with one another. However, it is important to check that the required classes of the minor that are being offered are not scheduled at the same time as the major courses. This may require planning ahead and visiting the academic advising center. Before you can tell everyone your new minor, you have to get the chair of the minor’s department to sign the declare a minor sheet.

With my previous knowledge of accounting firms providing financial planning services, I thought a minor in financial planning would provide me with an extra background of the financial world. Since accounting firms provide financial planning services, I thought the extra financial background would complement my accounting major. I declared the financial planning minor near the end of the spring semester of my junior year. At that time I was trying to create a possible fall semester schedule, and realized that I had leftover electives that I did not know what to do with. The minor fit perfectly with the remaining electives, and my accounting’s federal income taxation class’s syllabus overlapped with the individual taxation financial planning class! It is an added bonus that my knowledge I accumulated from my accounting classes will carry-over and help me in the financial planning classes I will take. One of the reasons why I felt good about declaring a minor was because I would have something to work towards instead of taking random classes that interested me.

Just as easy as declaring a minor, students can get rid of it. If a student loses their passion for their minor or is overwhelmed by the course load, they do not have to hold onto the minor. It is also fine to not declare a minor and take a wide range of classes that are of the student’s interest. Unfortunately, the option of declaring a minor may not be possible due to the lack of electives that are available with the student’s major. If the student would like to declare a minor, but does not have enough electives, he or she could either take six classes, have community college credit transfer to Saint Joseph’s, or take an intermission class to fulfill the class requirements.

For me, declaring a minor seemed like the smart thing to do. School seems to be more exciting with it and my transcript’s courses will be more balanced for employers. I would have never thought of minoring in financial planning without accounting firms recruiting and hiring directly from the Saint Joseph’s campus.

Posted in: Academics, Intellectual Curiosities, Majors & Minors