When your world’s turning

College can be a big transition for most, if not all, people making the big leap. IMG_1782Looking back a year later since I moved into Villiger 338, I can honestly say that the only feelings I can remember were excitement to move into my own, new space (and to decorate it however I pleased) and the sadness of leaving my friends and family.

Now I’m a sophomore (woah) and the same emotions are consuming my body just like last year.

However, I would say that there are a lot of differences.  Freshman year you’re more consumed with freaking out over the location of your classes, figuring out who you’re going to sit with at lunch so you don’t have to sit by yourself (which is totally normal and I definitely recommend sitting alone for some meals during the months), but you’re mostly just trying to find your niche–where you want to make your mark on Saint Joe’s.

As a sophomore, I already know where my classes are. I have already checked with my friends to see when we are going to meet up for lunch (and when I’ll be cooking myself).

However, I’m still trying to find my niche. I have joined many clubs and have participated in many activities, but it’s still an ongoing process and will be over the next three years.

But, it makes me excited.

Having one year of college under my belt, I feel more prepared for my second year. I know what works and what doesn’t work for me in terms of balance. This summer has allowed me to uncover things I wish to keep pursuing and I has allowed me to partake in a lot of self-discovery after experiencing a year away from home.

If there’s one thing I can say about having to say goodbye to the people you love (as you’re taking the plunge that is college), it is that being miles away from home will truly tell you what is important to you — what in your life is worth pursuing as you continue to grow and flourish over the next four years.

When your world’s turning and there’s nothing you can do to stop it, just breathe. Everything is going to turn out exactly how it’s supposed to.

FullSizeRender-5

Posted in: About SJU, Events & Activities, Family & Friends, Health, Wellness & Safety, Housing, Student Life