“And I need a job, so I want to be a paperback writer.”

– The Beatles, ‘Paperback Writer’

…Well, not exactly a paperback writer; more so a music journalist.

And that’s precisely how I’ll be spending a good chunk of my summer, thanks to an internship I’m doing with REBEAT magazine, an online publication centering around “mid-century music, culture, and lifestyle.” If you know me (or at least if you’ve taken a glance at my bio) you’ll understand how excited I am about this opportunity.

The last thing I expected smallerto do this summer was find a suitable internship position; as I mentioned in an earlier post, I’ll be studying abroad in Poland for the entire month of July, and was sure that this segmentation of my summer would squash my chances of getting any kind of interning experience. Don’t get me wrong, I was thrilled at the idea of returning to the land of my ancestors and felt honored to have received a scholarship to do so. Nevertheless, many of my friends were scoring internship positions, leading me to believe that I wasn’t doing enough with my summer (ah, self-imposed inadequacy, a common phenomenon that I discussed in this post.)

To be completely honest, I wasn’t even sure of what type of internship I would be looking for in the first place. I didn’t have a clue where to start searching; I essentially googled every possible variation of the keywords “music writing internships” and clicked each link until I couldn’t open any more tabs on my browser. I’d scour the sites, trying to find something I was interested in, qualified for, and, above all, able to fit into my crazy summertime schedule.

Then, by some unbelievable stroke of luck, I stumbled across an article written by a young woman who’d interviewed the likes of the Kinks’ Ray Davies, the Hollies’ Graham Nash, and the Beach Boys’ Brian Wilson. She discussed the perks and downfalls of being a female writer in the “classic rock” sphere, one that is predominantly spearheaded by men. She also talked about an online magazine she founded and contributes to, and posted the link to the site as well. That link took me to REBEAT’s homepage, which, coincidentally, sported an ad calling for an intern. I readily clicked through, already instantly in love with their content and style and wanting to be a part of the gro11107732_10204146894534546_7622057228768869028_novy scene.

I couldn’t have dreamed up a better internship: copyediting, writing music news, coordinating social media, and simply being involved in the day-to-day routine of a start-up magazine. The description mentioned near the bottom that travel would not be necessary, as the position would be entirely online. This is when I knew I had to at least apply; I had found everything I had been so actively and desperately seeking.

Long story short, after submitting my application and résumé, interviewing over the phone, and waiting for what felt like forever, I was offered the internship, which I gratefully accepted. So far, I’ve been running social media accounts and am working on writing a few pieces, including an album review and a transcription of a phone interview I conducted with the writer of The Fifth Beatle, Vivek J. Tiwary.

My main message here, I suppose, is that if you really inspect the opportunities around you, you’re bound to find one that piques your interest. Thanks to the internet, job listings and internship openings can be found instantaneously at the touch of a button. Granted, you might not find what you want right away (in fact, it’s highly unlikely that you will) but that doesn’t mean you should quit exploring your options.

As cliché as it is to say that all the best things are worth waiting for, it’s undeniably true. As Tom Petty so famously sang, though, “the waiting is the hardest part.” It may take longer than you expect to figure out what it is you want to do, and even longer to find a position that lets you do what you want to do. Sometimes you’ll feel like giving up the pursuit; why continue to look around when it feels as though you’ve exhausted every option, when every new road seems like a dead end?

8508233996_1a5887df71_bDon’t stop. The opportunity you’ve been yearning for is closer at this moment than it ever has been, and if you abandon your search now, you’ll never discover it.

SJU also has an incredibly beneficial resource to aid in your internship or job seeking: the Career Development Center. The physical Career Development Center is located in Moore Hall, but I feel the online CDC is just as useful as an in-person consultation. You can upload your résumé and have it sent to prospective employers, and can opt-in to receive emails about possible opportunities and openings. You can completely customize your search to find precisely what you want, without wading through listings that have nothing to do with your field of expertise.

My advice is to take advantage of these assets while they’re available to you. Contrary to what our generation has been told time and time again, there are tons of opportunities out there in the “real world”; you just have to know where to look… and keep looking, and looking, and looking.

Posted in: Internships & Experiential Learning, Student Life

2 responses to ““And I need a job, so I want to be a paperback writer.”

1. Kim says:

This is awesome!

1. dz602642 says:

Thank you!