Why I Chose Accounting

During internship interviews, everyone is asked:  Why did you choose (insert major) as your major? When I am asked this question, I use it as an opportunity to tell the employer about myself. Deciding a major is just as big of a decision as deciding where to go to college. Some students decide their major based on the college that they are or will be attending, while other students decide the college based on the major that they would like to major in. I was a student that knew I wanted to major in accounting and then decided to go to Saint Joseph’s based on majoring in accounting. Saint Joseph’s is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business in both business and accounting. This is an honor because there are only a select few that have both accreditations.

When deciding which college to go to each prospective college student has to balance financial, social, and education aspects of the school. For me, the educational aspect was weighted just a bit more than the others. I knew that I wanted to major in accounting before going to college based on my past experiences and the opportunities that it can provide.

Based on my prior work experiences growing up, I knew I wanted a major that could help me find a job that has a great deal of responsibility. Accountants have a great deal of financial responsibility. They are relied upon to record the sales, purchases, and other transactions accurately.

Before I attended Saint Joseph’s, I took three accounting classes in high school. It became apparent to me that accounting is a core part of any business. A company cannot function without an accountant keeping track of the trial balance and balance sheet. In effect of every business needing an accountant, I knew that I can choose an industry as well as a business that interests me. I liked the idea of not being stuck at a company that I did not enjoy working for.

The skills that accounting majors learn are transferable to other jobs. I knew that accounting could lead to other professions because a couple of my relatives majored in accounting; however they received other job offers out of college and were never accountants. This showed me that majoring in accounting would provide me skills that are unique in the business world that can be applied to other jobs that are not only accounting related.

There is no doubt accounting is a challenging major, however I enjoy being challenged. After solving an accounting problem and having my balances equal, I feel a sense of satisfaction of doing something correct. One thing is certain; do not think that you have to know what you want to major in before going to college. You can find what interests you as you take your general required classes during your first couple years at Saint Joseph’s.

Posted in: About SJU, Academics, Advising & Support, Applying, Applying to SJU as an Undergrad, Haub School of Business, Intellectual Curiosities, Majors & Minors

2 responses to “Why I Chose Accounting

1. Jordan says:

Wonderful post! It’s great seeing what has happened in people’s lives that made them decide to become accountants. Always an interesting story there. Thanks for sharing!

1. gp581442 says:

Thanks. Glad I could share it.