Chances and Opportunities…

When you get to college, you are constantly told to get involved and be active. Many students do not understand the importance of this advice. Not only do you make friends for life, you may also get some unbelievable opportunities. I am a part of two clubs at Saint Joseph’s University: Radio 1851 and the Sports Marketing Club. Through these clubs I have been provided with not only great experiences, but also unbelievable trips that I will never forget.

Most recently I traveled with the Sports Marketing Club, as well as with Dr. Lord and Professor Tryce, to New York City to visit MLBAM. For those who don’t know, MLBAM is Major League Baseball’s advanced media department. They run the website and interactive branch of the league. The MLBAM manages not only the official league site but also approximately 30 other individual club sites. Since the MLBAM is located in New York City we decided to get an early start to our day. It was a beautiful Friday and our day was filled with fun and interesting information from the MLBAM employees (as well as some great stories from Dr. Lord). Visiting MLBAM was unbelievable! While there, we received a guided tour, and also learned about the future of the baseball industry from some of the top experts in the field. We met with the VP’s of Marketing and Statistics and we were able to discuss the ins and outs of the game as well as having a detailed question and answer session. We learned information that many people could only dream to learn. This by far was a very unique opportunity that I had.

Another opportunity I was fortunate enough to have was my visit to the NFLPA. In November of 2014, I was invited as a member of the executive board for the Sports Marketing Club to visit the National Football Leagues Player Association. The NFLPA is located in Washington D.C. The trip was actually sponsored by Temple Universities sports program, however they invited a few members of Saint Joseph’s board to come along for the ride. The NFLPA is the labor organization representing professional American football players in the National Football League. While at the NFLPA, I learned all about contract law and the regulations behind the NFL. Additionally, we were provided with the ability to hear from some of the executive’s from the NFLPA, as well as former players. This was an experience second to none, and I would have never had been afforded the opportunity if not for the Sports Marketing Club.

The final trip this year was through Radio 1851. Here again I had the chance to visit New York City. During my visit to New York City, we attended the College Radio Conference. At the conference, we were able to learn from some of the best in the business. We were given a chance to hear what they had to say, and how to build our brand and station. As a student working at a college radio station I understand the difficulties of assisting with the running such a large product, however this conference helped me envision the impact and potential growth radio 1851 could experience. From this conference we learned unique ideas that we have already started putting into play as we speak.

Through my involvement with clubs at SJU, I have been given opportunities unrivaled any other. I have loved my time at SJU, and my participation in both the radio and the Sports Marketing Club has allowed me with special “perks”. If it not for stepping outside of my comfort zone and trying something new, I would have never had the opportunity to experience these amazing opportunities. I encourage anyone attending SJU to see what they have to offer and join a club, I guarantee you will not regret it.

Posted in: Events & Activities, Internships & Experiential Learning, Majors & Minors, Student Organizations & Clubs