Separating Our Identical Paths

Growing up as an identical twin, I always had somebody to interact with. My twin and I had similar friends, jobs, and hobbies. While we had our own separate interests, we both played soccer, refereed, and hung out in the same friend group. Wherever we went in public, we would receive the “deer caught in the headlights” look.

After people realized that we are actually twins and they were not literally seeing double or hallucinating, they begin to start asking us questions: Are you the evil twin? Which one is older? If I pinch you, does the other feel it? Can you read each other’s minds? Do you do everything together? Did you ever switch classes before? If you two marry twins, will your kids look the same?

Every twin has heard these questions before. We are asked these questions from people who think that they are being original and funny. No matter how many times I have been asked these questions, it never gets old or annoying. Although, I do wish people were more creative with their questions. These questions stopped after my twin and I started attending separate colleges. Playing a trick on someone without even trying is now no longer possible.

Many people lacked personal possessions growing up with siblings. Growing up as a twin, I had a lack of identity. All of my life I essentially had two names. Besides sharing names, I also obviously had the same birthday. Since we are now at different colleges, we are taking our own paths in life, creating our own identity. We are both business majors and are heavily involved in school activities. We are unable to be with one another for our own birthday. Instead we receive happy birthday group chats from our friends from home. However, we live close enough to meet up and celebrate together on a different day. No matter how different our paths are during college or after, we will know each other equally as we know ourselves.

When my friends on campus find out that I am an identical twin, it is usually after they get to know me. They begin to think their whole life is a lie and demand to see him as soon as possible. They act as if I was keeping a secret from them. I can assume this is because being an identical twin is so unique, as only 4 out of 1,000 people share this similarity.SCAN0036

Leaving my twin to go to college was part of growing up. My twin and I lived similar lives until college. Now that our lives have changed, it makes relating to one another challenging. College is the start of living separately. In order to relate to one another while we are in college, we try to visit each other’s campus once a year to take a glance at his life. Going to different colleges did not change how we relate to the other. Just like any friend or family member, you have to find time for them during the busy school activities. We are having totally different experiences. If we make each other even a little bit part of our lives, we will get a look into what the other is doing.

Maybe you can guess which one is me?

Seperating Our Identical Paths

Posted in: Family & Friends, Student Life