The Job Application Blues

applicationTis the season for internship and job applications.

I always have anxiety over turning in my resume and cover letter to an anonymous hiring manager over the Internet. Some times certain companies and organizations have you fill out a questionnaire about your work ethic, experience, and skills.

I was filling out a job application the other day when I stumbled across this question: “You often do not get the credit you deserve. – Do you Agree or Disagree?” Honestly, I have no idea what to answer. If I agree then I sound like I am egocentric or so self-seeking that I feel as though I deserve a parade every time I do something right. One the other hand, if I disagree then I feel as though I am too modest (to a fault) or simply putting myself down so far that I don’t deserve any recognition that I exist. Either way I portray myself in a bad light – something I definitely don’t want to do in front of future employers.

All in all, I think this is an unfair question. A question which I can never successfully answer, which only makes me wish that I was one extreme or the other just so I could move on with my life and not make such a life-altering decision.

But I digress.

careersIf any of you are having a hard time writing a resume or cover letter for even finding a business to apply to, I recommend going to the SJU Career Development Center. If you create an account then the Career Development Center can email you employment opportunities and events around campus. You can even send in your resume and they will edit it for you and give you tips on how to improve it. The Career Development Center also assists students with mock interviews (both in-person and phone interviews). I have an account and it really helps with my anxiety about the application process and networking.

Career Development Center:

Moore Hall
Monday-Friday: 9am – 5pm*

*Drop-in hours for quick questions or resume critiques are Monday through Friday from 1 to 4pm in Campion 306 and Mandeville 206E.
Phone: 610.660.3100

Students & Alumni: careerhelp@sju.edu

The Career Development Center strives to help students and alumni prepare to make and achieve professional goals while at SJU and beyond. The Career Development Center connects students and alumni with professional opportunities and resources through productive relationships with company and campus partners. All in all, it’s a great resource for students! Check it out!

Posted in: Academics, Advising & Support, Internships & Experiential Learning