The Maine act

“And now…the moment you’ve all been waiting for…THE MAINE!” The crowd goes wild!  “Heeeellllooo Philadelphia!”

Screen-Shot-2015-02-21-at-11.45.00-PMFirst they hear the drums, then the bass, the guitar, and the vocals. After the first beat, everyone in the room can tell it is going to be a night they won’t forget.

Saint Joseph’s University offers a lot of really amazing activities, which are advertised during the annual club fair in the fall. The Student Union Board (SUB) plans and executes events for all undergraduate students attending St. Joe’s and I am lucky enough to be a part of the Executive Board during my freshman year!  It has become a great way to get involved on campus!

peopleI joined SUB, because I have always wanted to learn more about event planning (I have always been interested in learning about it). I am also a Communications Studies major so there are a lot of things this organization can teach me about the field through hands-on experiences. I would definitely recommend SUB to anyone interested in learning about how to plan and execute different events!

I am a Late-Night Chair, which means the events that I plan are on Fridays or Saturdays during the night.

One of the main events SUB plans is our three-part #SJUbyU series. In the past, we have brought Aaron CarterParachute, and Colin Jost to name a few.

For our first performance this year, The Maine came to campus and performed in the Perch, a hangout space for students, right next to the student center!

What is great about these events is that they are completely free for undergraduate students!

There is always free food and a chance to meet the entertainers when the performance is over as well!

AFullSizeRender-4lso, since St. Joe’s is considered to be a medium-sized school, SUB likes to get acts that are well-known by the student body.

That is why we have the motto “Student Selected, SUB Approved.” In the beginning of each semester, a survey is sent out to every student and then SUB chooses the acts based on the results.

The #SJUbyU events are a great way to meet new people with similar interests and have an all-around fun night! Plus, the performers are always super nice and friendly and love to talk to students!

Posted in: Campus Landmarks, Events & Activities, Music, Theater & the Arts, Student Organizations & Clubs