Sculpture of Jess Micale

Self-portrait in clay

Figurative Sculpture class brings student one step closer to dream career in Dentistry.

Student Jess Micale

Jess Micale

My name is Jess Micale and I am a senior Biology major and Financial Planning minor here at Saint Joes. I decided to choose these fields of study to prepare me the best for dream career in Dentistry. However, a large part of Dentistry is the ability to assess problems using your own hands, artistic ability, and fine motor skills- something that Biology and Finance could not teach me. I took a leap of faith and enrolled in a Figurative Sculpture class in the fall of 2019 in an effort to develop these necessary manual dexterity techniques.

I could not be happier with my decision to take a class in the Art department. Throughout my journey in figurative sculpture I was able to refine my aesthetic sensibility and grow my perception of the human body. I found myself constantly drawing connections between art and my background in science. I discovered that the two subjects go hand-in-hand. Through the class I made substantial progress in cultivating my artistic capabilities and advancing my scientific education. These skills I will now be able to take with me as I transition from undergrad to dental school next year. I am so grateful that the Art department has provided me with the tools I needed to take on my future!

Student Finds Path for Her Future at Intersection of Art and Medicine

Art History major, Faith Belcuore, shares her story of finding her future in both Art and Medicine. For full story, click here.

Photo of Faith Belecuore

Faith Belcuore