Insurance and risk management is the fastest growing service industry in the United States with a multi-trillion-dollar market. More than 1,800 U.S. insurance companies offer personal and commercial products including health, life, and property/casualty protection. Other types of coverages include auto, mortgage, and reinsurance (i.e., insurance for insurance companies). These products protect individuals and businesses from losses resulting from a variety of causes including medical needs, accidents, theft, natural disasters such as earthquakes and hurricanes, legal actions, and many other perils.
Do you enjoy:
- Solving complex problems
- Working with data
- Analyzing and synthesizing information
- Using your quantitative and analytical skills
- Evaluating and managing an organization’s current and future risk
- Studying legal issues/topics
If so, you may want to explore the opportunities available in the field.
Where do people interested in Insurance and Risk Management work?
There are over 1,800 insurance companies in the US. According to data from 2005, the top five include: American International Group (AIG), Berkshire Hathaway, State Farm, Allstate and Hartford Financial Services. Check out the companies listed below on Vault.com. Vault is accessible through the Career Development Center website at www.sju.edu/careers (access code: sjucdc).
- ACE Global Solutions
- ACE/INA Holding
- Addis Group
- Aetna, Inc.
- AFLAC Incorporated
- American Financial Group, Inc.
- American International Group, Inc.
- Aon Corporation
- AXA Group
- Bank of America
- Beneficial Insurance Services
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association
- Brown & Brown
- CIGNA Corporation
- The Contribution Corp.
- Chubb Corporation
- CNA Financial Corporation
- Graham Company
- The Guardian Life Insurance Co. of America
- Guy Carpenter & Co. Inc. of PA.
- Jefferson-Pilot Corporation
- John Hancock Financial Services, Inc.
- Marsh & McLennan Companies, Inc.
- MetLife, Inc.
- Mutual of Omaha Companies
- Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co.
- New York Life Insurance Co.
- Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Co.
- Philadelphia Insurance Companies
- Principal Financial Group, Inc.
- Prudential Financial, Inc.
- SMART – The intelligent Choice
- St. Joseph’s University
- St. Paul Travelers Companies, Inc.
- Stradly Ronon
- TD Bank
- USLI Insurance Group
- Wachovia Insurance Services
- Willis Re
- Zurich Financial Services
Sample of Careers in Insurance and Risk Management
- Claims adjusters
- Computer Support Specialists
- Corporate Auditor
- Corporate Insurance Manager
- Customer Service Representatives
- Employee Benefits Analyst
- Examiners and Investigators
- Financial Analyst
- Insurance Sales Agents
- Loss Control Manager/Analyst
- Marketing and Sales Managers
- Risk Analyst
- Risk Manager
Resources for Researching Careers in Insurance and Risk Management
- Vault.com (accessible through www.sju.edu/careers password = sjucdc)
- Understanding the Business (Liberty Mutual) www.libertymutual.com (Click on Careers, then Insurance 101)
- Berkeley Career Exploration Links http://uhs.berkeley.edu/students/careerlibrary/index.shtml
- Gamma Iota Sigma, The International Risk Management, Insurance and Actuarial Science Collegiate Fraternity http://www.gammaiotasigma.org/