Hello! My name is Jess Micale and I am a senior Biology major and Financial Planning minor here at Saint Joe’s. I love taking classes in both the College of Arts and Sciences and the Haub School of Business because it allows me to take advantage of all that SJU has to offer.

As I embark on my journey to graduation and health professional school, I can’t help but reflect on all the ways Saint Joe’s has prepared me to take on my future. I remember showing up to my first biology class freshman year, fearful that I might not be able to succeed in the rigorous courses the Natural Science Department offers. Quickly I learned about all the resources SJU provides for its students, including one-on-one tutoring, office hours, and the supplemental instruction program. Supplemental Instruction (SI) is an academic support program in which peer leaders offer two weekly group review sessions, open to all students in targeted courses (such as Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and many others). As a freshman I found comfort in attending sessions with my fellow classmates, reviewing complex class material, and looked up to my SI as a role model. I became a Chemistry SI in my sophomore year, and now currently serve as the Head Mentor. The Natural Sciences Department truly gives students all the tools needed to flourish.

One of the reasons I chose SJU to pursue my degree is because of the close-knit community here. Forming relationships with my peers and professors has been essential in gaining experience and applying to higher education schools. One of my favorite programs that I participate in is the SJU Health Promoter program. This service opportunity is perfect for students who are seeking a career in health and enables community members in the Philadelphia area without insurance to be examined free of charge. We provide locals with basic check-ups, including dental and optometry, and educate them on the significance of practicing proper hygiene. At SJU we are committed to improving the lives of others through service, always aiming to live greater

I am so grateful to be receiving my education at Saint Joseph’s University. For the past four years, I have always felt supported by the Biology and Natural Sciences department and been given copious opportunities to expand my knowledge of the world around me. As I transition from undergrad to health professional education, I will forever credit SJU for giving me the means to prosper.

Jess Micale, ’20