The Importance and Value Behind Summer Internships

Prior to my junior year, I believed that internships were a great opportunity but not necessary.  I thought that a summer job and working during the school year on campus were enough to satisfy my desire to grow further as a person, student, and designer.  However, I did not see this growth until the start of my internship in the Saint Joseph’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions just a mere eight weeks ago.

As a Marketing and Communications Intern for the Admissions Office, I do everything from giving presentations to prospective families prior to their tour of campus, to engaging with the St. Joe’s community on a routine basis through our various social media platforms.  This internship has given me the opportunity to collaborate and receive val
ued input from my peers and supervisors, as well as take ownership of projects that I am working on.  

Even over the past two months, I have come to see the true value that comes with having a summer internship.  These internships are a stepping stone and are able to support students in determining their next steps after graduation.  Summer internships provide students with the opportunity to put into action the material that they are learning in the classroom and apply it in a tangible way.

I am beyond grateful for the impact that this internship has had so far on me as an individual, designer, and co-worker, and am excited for what is to come over the next 10 months!

-Michelle McCann ’20

Scroll To Top