Admitted Students Day, A Family Affair

The day is still so vividly imprinted in my mind. As someone who is a night person through and through, this was one of the first mornings that it was so easy for me to get up. My day started with my parents and I being guided to Hagan Arena. As we walked through the parking lot, at least 20 SJU students greeted me with cheers and applause (Congrats Class of 2018!). I couldn’t help but smile as I walked through the crowd of what would soon be my fellow Hawks. I had made my decision upon the arrival of my acceptance letter that Saint Joseph’s was my next home. However, for my parents, it took some convincing. As one of the two first-generation college students in the household, my parents wanted to make sure that this was the right place for me too. Little did I know that Admitted Students Day wasn’t just for me, but for my parents as well.

As my day went on I was able to chat with my admission counselor, current students, faculty, and staff. One thing that remained constant throughout all of my conversations was the sincerity in everyone’s excitement for me to become a Hawk. My mother was sold just after the first few minutes of being on campus! My father, on the other hand, was a different story. My dad is a very observant and quiet man. It takes a lot for him to share his opinions or thoughts on something, SJU included. But then it happened. We were leaving the Community Fair and I was so excited because I was able to meet some of the women who were a part of the all-female a capella group, The City Belles. I was in the middle of talking about how amazing I thought they were and how I couldn’t wait to audition my freshman year. My dad just looked over at me and smiled. He pulled me aside and said, “I want you to be happy, that’s all.”

It was the most comforting feeling knowing that in just one day I could see my next four years. Four years full of challenges, happiness, growth, friends, change, and best of all, a life-long family created all on one campus. My experience during Admitted Students Day was one I’ll never forget. Here I am, 5 years later, writing this as an SJU Admission Counselor, and I still have the same level of excitement and happiness as I did that day when I made my decision to live greater at Saint Joseph’s; a place that became my home for four years and I hope will be a home for the new Class of 2023!

– Sofia Fallas, Class of 2018