15 Things I Learned On and Off the Field

Senior field hockey players Anna Willocks, Monica Tice and Joely Helder share 16 lessons they learned on and off the field during their time on the team.

1. Time Management
    • Being a student-athlete, I learned very quickly how to prioritize school, field hockey, and social life. It is important to keep a healthy balance between the three to succeed.
  2. Hard Work
    • Working hard is extremely important both on the field and off. Giving 110% every day is crucial to the team’s success. Everybody on the team has individual strengths and must bring them to every practice, team meeting, game, etc. Striving for success in the classroom is something important for both the individual and the team as well.
  3. Importance of teammates/friendships
    • The team spends so much time together and we become very close. Honesty, on and off the field, is something that every team must have to be successful. Your teammates become your second family and the support between one another is endless.
  4. Breaking out of your comfort zone
    • You definitely have to get used to breaking outside of your comfort zone in college. I learned to push my body physically and mentally even when I thought I couldn’t move anymore. Not only did I reach new limits on the field but also off of the field through networking, public speaking, and being a leader.
  5. Laugh often
    • Laughter truly is the best medicine. I had an endless amount of laughs throughout my career with my teammates. There are certainly times when we must focus and be serious, but we did not forget to laugh and laugh often.
  6. Importance of rest and nutrition
    • To perform to your potential, both proper rest and nutrition are very important. Getting enough sleep at night and fueling your body can go a long way.
  7. Gratitude
    • I am so grateful for my time as a student-athlete at SJU. I have met so many great people and consider myself very lucky to have been a part of the field hockey program. When you have a bad day, it is important to take a step back and truly appreciate how far you have come and remember how lucky you are to be here.
  8. Team > self
    • I learned what being on a team truly meant. Being on the field hockey team taught me that sometimes you have to do things for the betterment of the team.
  9. Train like you want to play
    • You have to practice at the standard that you want to play.
  10. Importance of fitness
    • We won a huge number of games in the last five minutes just due to our fitness levels. Staying fit is a big part of athletics, but also a big part of college.
  11. Honest communication
    • This value was something we prioritized through all of our seasons and it really is the best policy. Whether communicating on the field or off the field, the job gets done much more efficiently when you say what needs to be said.
  12. Dealing with adversity
    • Playing a Division I sport has taught me how to react and move on from negatives. Rather than dwelling on the negatives, be able to give yourself a few minutes to reflect, and then allow yourself to move past it.
  13. Not being afraid to fail
    • This was a huge one for me. I had always been very cautious and never wanted to fail. But I realized over time that the only way to succeed is to learn from past failures. Field Hockey has taught me to take risks and challenge myself.
  14. Discipline
    • To be a Division I athlete you need to have self-motivation and discipline. In order to better yourself and your teammates, you have to be willing to do what will prepare you to be your best.
    • Being an athlete forces you to be able to lead. My other two senior teammates and I have had to be leaders since our freshman year. Leading can take the form of verbal instructions or by example. It is important to realize that people are looking up to you whether you know it or not.
  15. Controlling the Controllables
    • I believe this was really important for me to learn on the field. You can’t control the weather, the refs, or the turf, so it is crucial that you focus your efforts on what you can control. This also is important to remember as we begin to transition into our future careers.

-Anna Willocks, Monica Tice and Joely Helder, ’19