Why I Applied Early Decision…

My love for Saint Joseph’s University began at the early age of ten years old. I remember visiting Saint Joseph’s for the first time eight years ago, for a fall open house with my older sister, Laura. The whole family had come along this time, and I was eager to see the college my father had attended. I immediately fell in love with SJU. Even at the age of ten, I knew the place was perfect. What SJU had to offer was hard to resist: reputable academics, beautiful campus, friendly community, and great sports. I spent the entire day trying to sell it to my sister. However, I was unsuccessful. Much to my dismay, my sister ended up attending a different Jesuit university instead, but I knew that Saint Joseph’s would someday be the school for me.

Eight years later it was time for me to embark on my own college tours. Saint Joseph’s was the first tour I attended. I remember telling my mother “this is it.” So I decided to apply early decision, hoping for the best. Meanwhile, I went to see similar universities. However, I never managed to feel that same feeling that I did at Saint Joseph’s. At SJU, the tour guides were knowledgeable and enthusiastic, and I loved how friendly the students were when they saw the tour groups out on campus, excited to see prospective students. Something about Saint Joseph’s simply felt like home. Still, before the fall deadline, I ended up applying early action to two Catholic universities, and three other Jesuit universities.

In the late fall, I scheduled an interview with my Saint Joseph’s admission counselor. I had met her a few times before, at college fairs and when she came to visit my high school. I remember being so nervous for the interview. However, there was no need to be. The interview process was simply a chance to chat with your admission counselor one-on-one, and give them a chance to get to know you personally, beyond the application you have submitted. After the interview, I received a personal tour from a student. The admission staff is extremely friendly and accommodating. The admission process with Saint Joseph’s is unique from other schools because you are a priority and not just another application. My parents and I were very confident in my choice to apply as an early decision applicant.

In December of 2017, just a couple days before Christmas, the famous red envelope arrived in the mail. It was the best early Christmas present anyone could ever ask for! I declined all my other offers and submitted my deposit to SJU. Fall felt like it was years away, but I was already so excited for college to start.

Waking up every day as a Saint Joseph’s student is a dream come true. I am an undecided business major and hope to participate in the co-op program. I am currently involved with SJU Relay for Life and Radio 1851. I hope to take part in the APEX spring break experience. I am enjoying my classes and have had the chance to meet new, amazing people every day. It is still very early in my SJU career and I know I have a lot ahead of me. I look forward to the next four years of having the privilege of challenging myself academically, socially, and spiritually.

-Bridget Fay, ’22