What I Would Do Differently…

What Would You “Do-Over”

Hear from some of our rising sophomores about how they would have changed their freshman year:

“Eat in Campion more!”

Not only are you saving money by eating in the dining hall rather than going out, but it’s a place for freshmen to hang out and make new friends!

Carly M

“GET INVOLVED!”

Involve yourself around campus! It’s a great way to make new friends and find things to do! Being super involved is a part of the SJU identity.

-Quinn M.

“Get a Job on Campus!”

When you get a job on campus, you somehow become “in the know” about things that may have slipped past you otherwise!

– John S.

“Make more friends”

Put yourself out there and say hi! Everyone walks into college without a group of friends. I guarantee you that the person sitting next to you is nervous too! Don’t be afraid to make the first move and say hello! Making friends is what turns college into home!

-Starr M

“Take advantage of more service on campus”

There are so many service opportunities to take advantage of on campus. It’s a great way to make friends and see the Jesuit values of the school in action.

– Ray Z

“Be Patient”

Freshman year might not take off as quickly as you had imagined—that’s totally normal! Be patient with it, transitioning to college is really hard!

-Gianna D.

“Take care of your body!”

I would have exercised more and snacked less! I would snack and lounge around when I was bored when I could have spent that time being fit and taking care of myself by taking a mental break at the gym!

– Brooke N.

“Public Safety Shuttle! Use it!”

It’s free, it’s easy, and it’s safe. Public Safety is super chill about picking you up and will make sure you get where you need to go safely if the shuttle is not running!

– John S.

“Study more”

It’s easy to get all caught up in the excitement of freshman year and all of the social aspects of college, but studying is important too! Make sure you spend enough time in the lib to set yourself up for success.

– Charles S.

“Build a routine”

College success is so much easier when your day has structure. You have all this free time that you don’t know what to do with! It’s way different than high school. Building a routine helped me to be productive and accomplish a lot more throughout my day.

– Jeremiah M.

“Sign up for everything at the activities fair”

Go to the activities fair at the beginning of the year and put your name on every email list. Go to the first meetings and see what it’s all about. The upperclassmen want you to join their club and are excited to see you there! I wish I had put my name on more lists.

– Brendan M.

“Make the most of your day!”

Try to schedule things early in your day! When I spread things out too much, I found myself wasting hours of my day! A busy schedule is a productive schedule!

Brooke N.

“College is not going to be perfect on move-in day”

In high school you build up how great college is going to be and, for a lot of people, it’s not perfect right away with no effort. College is great when you decide to take ownership of it and throw yourself into it!

– Louis S.

“Take some YOU time”

Sleep is important for your physical and mental health. Make sure you take time to hang out with yourself and take some down time to regroup after a long week!

-Carly M.

“Your Advisor is a GREAT Resource”

They are such a wealth of knowledge and the first faculty at SJU that you will connect with. They can help you with so much more than picking classes. Make sure that you get to know them, say hi to them when you see them on campus, shoot them an email to clarify. They know so much about your major!

– John S.