How I Learned to Navigate Life

It’s weird to finally be here, at the end of a 4-year journey, with the rest of my life ahead of me. Seems like it was only yesterday when I was waking up to fly out for PSIP to start my college experience at Saint Joseph’s University. These last 4 years have been one heck of a ride, that’s for sure. From acapella concerts, to late night chats in the dorms, to the incredible food at Reading Terminal Market, each and every part of my experience will stick with me for the rest of my life.

Of course, there’s the fact that the education I’ve received here has set me up for success in my future endeavors. That’s certainly something I hope sticks with me. When I arrived at SJU, I could not have answered the question “Where do you see yourself in 5 years?” I had zero clue what I wanted to do, where I wanted to go, who I wanted to be. Heck, I didn’t know what I wanted to major in, or what dorm I wanted to live in, or even whether I wanted DB or Campion that day. But day by day, step by step, I’ve been able to arrive here at the end of college, with a job and a bright outlook on my future.

I’ll be starting in less than two weeks (oh man that’s soon) at Comcast, one of the largest tel-com companies in the U.S., in their comcast_logo_detailProcurement Department as an Analyst. As a Business Intelligence and Finance double major, it’s a role that certainly fits, and my classes here prepared me to have the skills I’ll need to be successful.

But that’s not the most important part, at least in my opinion. What SJU has given me, more than an outstanding education, more than 4 years I will always cherish, has been one indispensable lesson. No matter where life takes me, let God and my heart be my GPS. Be it in the business world, focusing on my passion for music, or serving others through ministry, I will always find joy when I pray, and when I share the joy in my heart.

So to anyone who reads this, know that SJU has been my university and my home, and it will always hold a special place in my heart for the people it has brought into my life, the memories it has helped me create, and the truly important lessons it has taught me.

May the Hawk always live on in each and every one of us.

Liam McCann’16 is from Laguna Niguel, California and graduated from Saint Joseph’s University with a double major in Business Intelligence and Finance.  During his time on Hawk Hill, he was involved with the Hawk Host organization, 54th & City (SJU’s all-male acappella group), Campus Ministry and many other student groups!