What Does Being Jesuit Educated Mean To You?

With Pope Francis landing in the United States yesterday and arriving to Philadelphia on Friday, we asked current students, alumni and staff what being Jesuit educated means to them.  Check out their answers below and comment with what being Jesuit educated means to you!

“I think a Jesuit education has allowed me to look past my life and reflect on the lives of others through service.”
-Ben Burns’17

“Today’s educational strategies at other universities rush students through reading material as though one was reading the road magis1signs while driving on a turnpike. But Jesuit education requires deeper reading of a few quality authors, engaging her viewpoint seriously of wondering whether these ideas might apply in today’s context and stand the test of time. The difference is depth versus breadth.”
-Brian Frain, Society of Jesus

“A Jesuit education teaches that value of developing all aspects of yourself.  By caring for my whole self, my ability to think critically in a wide range of scenarios has vastly improved.”
-Brendan Gleason’17

“A Jesuit education is more than content in a classroom. It is interactive and experiential. It is co-curricular. It transforms students into lifelong learners with a sense of purpose and a passion towards helping others.”
-Bill Bordak, Director of Community Standards at SJU

“Being Jesuit educated means being a well-rounded individual who is aware not only of himself, but all those around him.”
-Matt Stuart‘17

“A Jesuit education encompasses more than just your major. You are taught to think beyond the obvious, ask the tough questions, and challenge yourself to do more. The education I received at Saint Joseph’s prepared me for more than just a career, it showed me how to embrace the world through my actions.”
-Rose Bouchard’06, Assistant Director of Undergraduate Admission at SJU

“A Jesuit institution consistently provides opportunities for students to become engaged in different intellectual pursuits. Surrounded by the spirit of the magis, we encounter students, faculty, and community members that share in our journey and push us toward success.” -Matthew Janton ‘17

JesuitIs2“My Jesuit education at Saint Joseph’s taught me to think critically about my actions and decisions, both large and small.  It taught me to consider how my actions, from brief interactions with strangers to lasting career choices, may impact the lives of others.”
-Brigid Landy’08

“Being Jesuit educated means attending a school where I’m educated not only inside the classroom, but outside it as well. Through interactive experiences, I am able to apply what I learn to the community at SJU, in Philadelphia, and beyond.”
-Kasie Bourque’18

“I think that having an education that is rooted in Jesuit values has allowed for me to have a transformative learning experience. Not only have I learned through my classes and academic organizations, but I have also learned through my extra-curricular and service activities. I feel that SJU fosters a community in which students are able to become fuller persons and the best versions of themselves.”
-Samantha DiGiuseppe’16

“A Jesuit education provides opportunities to learn far more than the minimum academically and in everyday life.”
-Joey Giovanisci’16

“A Jesuit education to me enables a graduate to think holistically about a topic. A Jesuit-educated person does not only weigh the JesuitIs1demographic, economic, and political effects of a subject, but also considers the social and faith based consequences of the matter at hand. This valuable approach encourages members to be ambitious while working to serve the less fortunate.”
-Rob Gilroy’14

“Being Jesuit educated means setting the earth on fire. It means going out of your way, taking that extra step each and every day to help others, even if it’s just holding a door for a stranger. In addition, one major part of being Jesuit educated is giving back. We all live in the same world and we owe it to ourselves and others to make this world a better place.”
-Will Roxstrom’17

“A Jesuit education is unique in that it not only teaches you knowledge and skills, but it challenges you to find a way to put them to use to better the world. A Jesuit education shifts the focus of your life from being centered around yourself to being centered on others.”
-Jenny Schadt’17