Comedy – It’s My Thing

I like to make people laugh. It’s my thing. The issue with that, however, is that I didn’t always know it was my thing. I didn’t know how important it was to me, to make others smile. I didn’t know that I thrive on laughter. I didn’t know that the best part of my everyday life is making people forget about their problems for just a few minutes, while I tell some silly jokes. I didn’t know – until I came to Saint Joseph’s University. This place has done something very special for me. This place has supplied me with memories, entertainment, knowledge, friendships, resources, and most of all, opportunities. If it wasn’t for Saint Joseph’s University, I may have never found my passion.

The SJU Improv team was holding its first ever round of tryouts my second semester on campus. I should have felt nervous improv2walking into the waiting room of the auditions. I was about to audition for a team that would shape not only the rest of my college career, but my life. There’s something about improv, to me, that’s calming. I wasn’t nervous. I sat in the lobby, waiting patiently to be called in to the audition. I was one of the last auditions of the night, but time flew by.  Just the notion that I was about to make people laugh was enough to make time go quickly. All of a sudden, my name was called. I stood up, strolled over to the room (as not to seem too eager), and walked inside. I don’t remember what happened next. Of course, I remember the audition. But I do not remember a single word I said. I don’t remember a single thing I did. I was too enveloped in the moment to try to retain memories. The presidents of the club then thanked me for my audition, and I darted out (as not to seem like I was lingering). My roommate was outside waiting for me, and asked how it went. I simply said “Good,” and then we went home.

I got an email a few days later. Callbacks. Now I was nervous. The nervousness showed, too. I went in to the callbacks very confidently, but left very disappointed in myself. I felt below par. There was no doubt in my mind that I was not going to make the team. I was crushed. Just weeks ago, I had found my passion. I had found the thing that I would want to dedicate all my free time to. Now, my passion seemed like a fading shooting star in the distant sky—so hopeful, but devastatingly out of reach.

I got an email a few days later. I made the team. I was utterly baffled, absolutely shocked, and uncontrollably happy. Things reallyimprov1 started to click for me now. When the two presidents of the improv team, Scott and Scott, decided to choose me, they did two very important things for me: they told me I was funny, and they gave me an outlet to be funny. Since then, I’ve gone very much out of my way to fulfill my desire of making people laugh. I get to perform with the improv team about three times a semester in front of about two hundred and fifty people (in a room that only seats about two hundred). I’ve written sketches for the independent theater group Followed By a Bear. I’ve written satirical articles for the school paper, The Hawk. I’ve even done freelance work over the internet just to get my jokes out into the world.

When I was in high school, before I knew what I wanted out of my life, I wanted to go to law school. My dream job was to be the best criminal defense attorney on the East Coast. Then I came to Saint Joseph’s. Now, I know what I want out of my life. Now, my dream job is to be company member at the Upright Citizens Brigade. Or a stand-up comedian. Or a writer for Saturday Night Live. My dream job is to make people laugh. So that’s what I’m going to do. I’m going to make people laugh. Because it’s my thing.

JamesWyatt

The amazing Jimmy Wyatt is going into his junior year and has his whole life ahead of him.  As a newly declared English major, Jimmy enjoys writing and just generally being creative.  If he’s not writing absolutely touching blogs like this one, you might catch him writing sketches, doing improv comedy, or just trying to make his friends giggle with some silly jokes. 

1 Comment

1. M on August 20, 2015 at 4:03 pm

Where am I in the first picture?