Where do Hawks land? Lockheed Martin!

As cliché as it sounds, I knew that Saint Joseph’s was where I wanted to spend my next four years the first time that I walked around campus. Now, as I am a graduate with a degree in Computer Science and a minor in Mathematics, I’m glad that I trusted my gut!  Computer Science (CS) never crossed my mind as a potential career path when I arrived at SJU, but after taking CS I and II with Dr. Grevera my freshman year, I fell in love with it. The CS department may be small, but I personally felt that was only ever been a benefit to me. I feel like I had, and continue to have, a real relationship with my professors and that they not only wanted me to get a good grade, but they wanted me to truly understand the difficult concepts. My classes focused on preparing us for the fast pace, exciting field of technology so we can be successful in our future careers.

Last summer, I interned with Lockheed Martin as a College Intern Tech Specialist. My task was to create an internal mobile lockheed_martin_logo_partnerapplication to be used by all the employees at Lockheed Martin. Over the summer, I worked closely with the project lead on the research, design, and development of the app. As part of the intern experience, I was able to learn about and visit the various sections of the company and hear from employees about their careers and projects. While my classes gave me the background to be successful in my internship, my time at Lockheed Martin gave me a focus for my senior year, real life experience in a workplace, and the desire to learn more.  I will now be returning to Lockheed Martin as a Software Engineer Associate and I will continue creating more mobile applications for them.

Before I graduated, I, along with every senior CS major, had to complete a senior project. For my senior project, Dylan Leonard’15, and I worked closely with the CS department to create a secure and easily accessible website for the department to collect and update alumni information. The website will provide the CS department with a more efficient way to consolidate and analyze data for recruiting purposes, improvements, and expansion of the department.  I was excited to be able to combine what I had learned in the classroom and at my internship to fulfill this need for the CS department.

Overall, Saint Joseph’s University, and especially the Computer Science department, gave me a well-rounded education to not only be successful at my job at Lockheed Martin, but in my life as well.

Patty McGann is a 2015 graduate of Saint Joseph’s University.  She majored in Computer Science with a minor in Mathematics.  While at SJU, Patty was a member of the SJU Women’s Club Soccer team, participated in the Appalachian Experience, was on the executive board of Hand in Hand, and the Vice President of the Computer Science Club.  Patty also volunteered at the Wynnewood Branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia with other members of the Computer Science Club to teach computer skills to members of the local community.