What a Welcome!

The college application process is one of the most frightening, daunting processes a high school senior goes through. But what happens once you’re accepted? Then comes the even scarier task of deciding on which college to attend. This is where I found myself; however, Saint Joseph’s University turned this experience into an exciting, worry-free night.

Once accepted into Saint Joseph’s University, by red envelope of course, a few lucky admitted students have a unique opportunity to network, meet admissions counselors, and get a feel for the true SJU Hawk Pride at their very own Division 1 Men’s Basketball cecilyGame and dinner. At this event, admitted students get a chance to sit with one another over a casual pizza party and discuss SJU, college in general, and one another’s interests. Personally, this was extremely beneficial because I was able to meet other future Hawks that shared the same fears, concerns and excitement about college as I did. To be able to develop a friend group this early on made me feel comfortable in my college decision making.  Throughout the dinner, some Hawk trivia was thrown into the mix to spark conversation and competition, preparing us for what was to come.

The rally cry “The Hawk Will Never Die” speaks for itself when describing SJU. Not only were we able to attend a basketball game, but we got to sit in the student section, giving us a feel for what this time next year could really be like: the excitement and enthusiasm of current students as chants, drums and screaming filled the stadium, but most surprising of all, the fact that they stood the entire game to cheer on their fellow Hawks. That experience sold me on Saint Joseph’s University – not their fancy mail advertisements or prestigious rankings, but because I could see myself here as a Hawk. Not to mention the fact that they won the game! I was able to connect and make new friends at a place where I am ecstatic about spending the next four years of my life.

cecily2

Cecily DeMarco is a high school senior from Mullica Hill, New Jersey.  She has been admitted into the Saint Joseph’s University Class of 2019.