We admissions counselors love this time of year! It is a time for new beginnings and the creation of new relationships. September is when we start our fall travel to visit high schools, attend college fairs and meet prospective students in coffee shops across the country.
As you begin your senior year and the application process, I’d like to offer you a little advice to make the college search process a little easier:
- Do your research and give yourself realistic options – academically, socially and financially.
- Pay attention to deadlines – they actually are important and can make the difference when applying for admission and being considered for a scholarship or financial aid.
- Check your email regularly! This is one of the most significant ways that colleges communicate with you regarding campus visits, your application, scholarship opportunities and financial aid.
- Follow your top colleges on social media – Twitter, Instagram, Facebook. You will learn about campus life, academic programs, deadlines, scholarship opportunities and what is important to the college.
- Visit the colleges you are considering. Schedule a visit with the admissions office so that you can get accurate information and understand the application process.
- Take ownership of the process. If you have questions, reach out to your admission counselor via phone or email. Don’t always have a parent do it for you. Your initiative in the process will leave a positive impact on the college or university to which you are applying.
- Enjoy this journey with your parents. Be patient with them. They are often as anxious about the process as you are. Next year at this time, you will be in college and chances are you will be missing them, so appreciate the journey!
The Office of Undergraduate Admissions at Saint Joseph’s is excited to meet you! Counselors are already out visiting high schools and attending college fairs to explain what magis is all about. If you haven’t already done so, complete our inquiry form so we can provide you with all the information you need to get to know us better and complete the application process. Every student who applies for admission is given an admissions counselor who is your direct contact at the University. Find your admissions counselor online and send a quick hello via email to begin the process. Chances are he or she will be at your high school or at a college fair near you this fall as well. Stop by to say hello!
I also invite you to visit campus this fall to meet our faculty, staff and most importantly our students. There are two open houses: Sunday, October 5 and Sunday, November 2. When you are on campus, use #visitSJU to enter our contest to win SJU swag!
If I can be of any assistance to you, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I will do all I can to make your transition from high school to Saint Joseph’s University a successful one. I hope to see you on campus soon!
The Hawk Will Never Die!
Maureen Mathis is the Assistant Provost for Undergraduate Enrollment at Saint Joseph’s University. Maureen has been working in the admissions field for 24 years and has spent six of those years on Hawk Hill. Maureen works with students who attend Saint Joseph’s Preparatory School in Philadelphia.