Where do Hawks land? Graduate school!

Caroline2This fall, I will be attending Boston College to pursue my Master’s degree in English and follow my dream of studying literature. I have always pictured myself in the world of academia. Hopefully one day I will be a writer and English professor, and pass on my love of learning, books, and reading to other students. In graduate school, I plan to continue research on one of my favorite authors: F. Scott Fitzgerald.

I have always admired Fitzgerald as a writer, and my English courses at Saint Joseph’s University have only helped solidify this admiration and intensify my interest. The English Department at Saint Joseph’s has done more for me than I can adequately put into words. I am especially thankful to Anthony J. Berret, S.J., and his courses, such as Music and American Literature and Fitzgerald and Hemingway, which helped deepen my appreciation for Fitzgerald.  These courses also contributed to shaping the concept of my honors departmental senior thesis entitled “Neuroticism in the Works of F. Scott Fitzgerald.” Fr. Berret served not only as my advisor for the project, but also as my friend, and provided great insights into Fitzgerald, his life, and his works, for which I am much appreciative.

While I, like most college graduates, am a little nervous about the next chapter of my life, I am for the most part excited. Boston will not only be a new city for me, but a new experience as well, and one that I am glad to embark on with my twin sister (also a recent Saint Joseph’s graduate) who will be attending graduate school at Boston University for Emerging Media Studies. I can caroline3confidently say that Saint Joseph’s University not only gave me four wonderful years, but that it also prepared me for the coming years and the adventure that will be graduate school. College is not just about the papers, the all-nighters, the friends, or the internships—it’s about what you take away from those experiences.

By the time college is over, these experiences will impact your perceptions and perspectives in ways that might not be immediately recognizable. A paper written about a favorite author might eventually lead to graduate studies (à la Fitzgerald) or you might very well meet a lifelong best friend in these few years. Whatever it is that you decide to take with you from your college experience, trust that it will lead you somewhere.

I will be forever grateful to Saint Joseph’s University and the English Department for the education that they have provided me, and the way that they have helped inspire me to want to continue my studies in literature. Boston, here I come!

Caroline1

Caroline Sipio is a recent graduate of Saint Joseph’s University, where she studied English. She also had a minor in Medieval, Renaissance, and Reformation Studies. Next fall, she will be attending Boston College for graduate school where she will continue studying literature with a focus on F. Scott Fitzgerald.