Extra! Extra! How a newspaper helped me find my place on Hawk Hill

I think that it’s safe to say that everyone comes to college and joins at least one club or organization. If you’re lucky, these clubs shape your experience and make your four years at college the best that they can be. If you’re a particular kind of lucky, you

Ladies of the Hawk

Ladies of the Hawk

become so devoted, entrenched and passionate about your organization that you spend an afternoon seriously considering moving a bed into your office. These are the kind of people that you’ll find at the Hawk, SJU’s student run newspaper.

I joined the Hawk on a whim in October 2011. It was the fall of my sophomore year and I still hadn’t found my niche on campus. The first production night that I spent in the newspaper office, I got that feeling in the pit of my stomach and I knew that I’d found my place on Hawk Hill.

Since that time, I rose from copyediting articles to my current role as editor-in-chief. Though I do enjoy editing and writing articles, I stay at the Hawk week in and week out because of the incredible staff that I get to work with every day. They are creative, driven and the smartest people I know, in addition to being wonderful friends! It is awesome that we all work so well together because we spend nearly 20 hours a week in our office for various meetings and editing sessions before our big production night every Monday.  Production night is when we put the entire paper together after all of the

Fun in the newspaper office!

Fun in the newspaper office!

research, writing and editing that has happened during the past week. Sometimes, this even goes into the wee hours of the morning!

In high school, a lot of students join a diverse array of activities to find out what they like, what they don’t like and to have a lot of different experiences to put on college applications!  The great thing about college activities is that you can focus on what you’re really passionate about. I love the excitement of finding new stories on campus every week, whether it’s profiling interesting students or writing a review on new movies or albums that have dropped recently or explaining happenings on campus succinctly and informatively for our readers.

I encourage all new Hawks to think about what they love and are passionate about. Once you find that, everything else falls into place!

Marissa1

Marissa Marzano is a senior English major, Communication Studies minor from Clinton, N.J. Though she spends most of her time at the Hawk office, she also tutors in the campus Writing Center, has participated in weekly service and service-immersion trips, and is an avid runner. She’s also a second-generation Hawk!